Thread: Steering wheel hub question

Default Steering wheel hub question

How do i determine what(which) quick release hub will fit the stock steering wheel on my volvo? Also, how do i select a replacement steering wheel to go with that quick release hub?

Thanks for any help!

I don't think you can use a stock wheel with a quick release.

To match the quick release with an aftermarket wheel, the quick release bolts to the wheel, so as long as the hub supports the correct spacing on the wheel you're good.

I used this with a MOMO wheel: http://ltbautosports.com/ltbquicrelsp.html

You still need a hub for the car though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    I don't think you can use a stock wheel with a quick release.

To match the quick release with an aftermarket wheel, the quick release bolts to the wheel, so as long as the hub supports the correct spacing on the wheel you're good.

I used this with a MOMO wheel: http://ltbautosports.com/ltbquicrelsp.html

You still need a hub for the car though.
    simon...guess I didn't word the question correctly.What I meant to say was "if I remove the stock steering wheel, how do I know what quick release hub will fit before I mount it to a new steering wheel?".....LOL
    Last edited by BruceG; 01-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Default picture of wheel i'm trying to replace with a quick release hub and new wheel

picture of the stock volvo steering wheel i'm trying to replace with a quick release hub and new wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    "if I remove the stock steering wheel, how do I know what quick release hub will fit before I mount it to a new steering wheel?"
    That's either going to be a question you pose to your preferred manufacturer, such as Momo:

http://ltbautosports.com/momohubadapter.html

...or if your car is not listed then maybe someone in the Volvo "community" will know what hub will work on your car. Then, pick your fav wheel, as all Momos and Sparcos use the same pattern, and I think even the cheaper Grant steering wheels may be the same (don't know about Grant for a fact).

I'm a fan of the Momo Monte Carlo; looks classic and nice, fits nice, and is usually relatively inexpensive. If you want suede instead of leather, the Momo Mod 69 is almost identical.

(and I encourage you to buy from Louis at LTB, he's good people and an IT racer just like us...)

GA

Thanks, Greg!...see you soon.

Default Steering Wheel Quick Release

BruceG,

Here is another option for you.

I made a Quick Release for a Mustang last year. Ron Earp bought it from me.

Buy the weld-on style Quick Release from your favorite source (ours cost $50), and take it, and a steering shaft (sample), to your favorite machinist, who can make a master out of carbon. He then will use the Electrical Discharge Machining process (EDM) to machine the inside of the purchased QR. It will now fit the car you are building, and can be bolted on per the rules. Incidentally, the Mustang was an odd shape, not the routine spline style used on earlier cars.

Our machinist only charged $10 for the process, and the total cost of a QR was $60. I'm sure your machinist won't be that reasonable, but it might be close. Probably much less than for a name brand unit for a Volvo.

Most sources of QR will give you the choice of a mount for a three, or five-bolt steering wheel.

Good Racing,

Bill
    Last edited by billf; 01-09-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

similarly to bill's concept, many steering column shafts on our little Japanese cars are smaller than the ID of the weld-on quick releases, not sure about our volvo.

if so, you can have a piece of steel machined to thread on a'la factory, and accept the weld on QR. you can even create the exact spacing you want this way. just make sure to weld the adpater to the column and the QR to the adapter. a decent machinist should have no issues with this design, and can help you select the appropriate alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I am not aware of SCCA allowing the welding of Quick Release hubs onto the original steering shaft.
    It's a bone of contention for some time....we've agreed to disagree, let sleeping dogs lie, etc.

Do a search on this forum and you could find the juicy conversations.

GA

I recently put a quick release on my golf cart....why? thats another story
    Any way, no one makes an adapter, so I tore the golf cart wheel apart and had the hub machined to fit inside the quick release, one hole in the side of the adapter and a spot of weld, now I can bolt the adapter to the shaft.
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    I recently put a quick release on my golf cart....why? thats another story...

let me guess.... too many delectable holiday cookies?

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Actually, won't fit under the cap on the back of my truck! Steering wheel was highest point by 2". not anymore!
    Jerry
    NER South

I find it disturbing that Jerry owns a golf cart. I find it disturbing that Jerry admits to owning a golf cart.

Have some decency, man. Call it a "pit cart" or something. Now I've got a picture in my head of you wearing plaid knickers and a pastel sweater-vest. Yeesh.

You should see my putter! lol
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    You should see my putter! lol
    I'm glad I provided the forum for this very useful information.......LOL