Thread: STL engine builds?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chris, I'm either hopeful or skeptical, LOL.

To ME, it's a specific power class. if you can make a lot of power for the displacement, you have a good start. Adda decent chassis, and you can compete.

Since cams are limited, (equalized across all manufacturers) and displacement (vis a vis weight) and compression are limited (and equalized, essentially), and exhausts are free, (therefore equalized) it comes down to the head flow and intake.

So, knowing that, what ARE the potential candidates?
    My list:
    Various Hondas (I can't keep the numbers straight). But the 1.8 in the Teg and the CRX motor seem to be 'breathers' that can hit the targets.
    Mazda?? Can a 1.6 make 160? or the 1.8 make 180???
    Toyota? Hmmmm, not familiar with any that have any real hope, but maybe I missed one.
    BMW. You say an M42. (whats that?)
    Nissan?
    Dodge: You say a Neon motor? 2.0L? Is that the 150Hp stock one?
    Then Subarus new 2.0 170hp flat four maybe?

So the short list in my mind: (with your suggestions: Hondas, Dodge 2.0, BMW M42, Mazda, and Subaru.

For chassis, I guess it's a Miata, Neon, CRX, Integra, Civic, and maybe the new Toyobaru BRZ/FRS?

What else?

Non starters:
    Rotaries: here's the conflict I see. The 13B in ITS form runs with the Teg in ITS form, making 180WHP max. But in STL the Teg gets more allowances. So, if the second gen 13B weight is correct in STL, then are you (the STAC saying that you expect STL to be about ITS speed? (and obviously, we could deduce you all think the Tegs classification in ITS is too heavy)
    I'm trying to get creative and think of others. Alfas? Hmmm, some interesting choices, but I THINK they are all too old. Porsche? All the 911s are too big displacement. All the others are too old except for the 924, with it's 2.0L but, that will never make the power.

So, what else is there guys?

And:
    What do we expect to see at the wheels for:
    The CRX engine?
    The Teg engine?*
    The Miata engine?**
    The neon engine?
    The BMW M42?

*Edit: Thanks Kevin. Your build (LP Prod) sounds close to STL. And you're saying you make between 150 and 195. But not 150 and certainly not 195. **And for giggles, ISC says an ITA Miata will make "around 135" at teh wheels in ITA trim. So, thats about 165 crank. Is that fair? If so, will it gain 15 in STL build?
    Last edited by lateapex911; 12-13-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com