Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
OK, I'd never seen that stated as a criterion, but if it is why wasn't that stated up front. The assigned weight makes it clear that it was intended that rotaries were not to be competitive (as I was complaining about, obviously). But my question is, "why shouldn't the rotaries be classed on a competitive basis?" Or put another way, if someone puts a 13b into a Miata (classed at the same lb/hp as any piston engine) and wins, what is the problem? Or is this the same problem that there was with putting Mustangs and Camaros in IT - there's no rational basis, it just "doesn't look right"?
Well some of us have been preaching that if this class is to succeed, it needs far more diversity. The IT (internally unmodified) 13B in well-tuned preparation will churn out 180whp. That is WELL within the 1.8L weight and HP targets. Why they won't allow it? No real good answer has been forthcoming and frankly I can't think of one.

Look at STL like this and you'll be a lot happier: It's NASA Honda Challenge by SCCA with some provisions for other cars to compete in a peripheral fashion. Seriously, it's a piston-based swap class conceived for FWD, and compensated for RWD.