Thread: Camshaft "Renewing"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And if there is no factory shop manual? Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    And if there is no factory shop manual? Chuck
    If no shop manual, and by that we know you mean 'no spec', you should really try and find as new a part as you can, used. Fudging the parts that have no spec is a slippery slope. You then make it a judgement call by the PC and the Appeals committee when I pay to have them procure 10 used ones, have all 10 within a certain 'range' and the renewed one is obviously out of that statistical range, IMHO it wouldn't be a long shot for them to throw your stuff out.

That is the one nice thing about the Miata's, the cam specs are spelled out to the Nth degree in the SM section so messing with that stuff is stupid. Buy a new one and go. A luxury not everyone has.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Have been going through that for 4 years. Delta cam had the stock specs from way back with the old style follower cam grinding tool so I have had my cams reground as needed there. This year I finally found a NOS cam on ebay in the original packaging, wrapped in a newspaper from 1998 and that is what I have run this year. The trick now would be to find 10 examples of stock cams as most shops just throw away "e" heads and cams because everyone wants the "i" parts. Guess that is another "warts and all". Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!