Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More progress, stang2 is ready for a cage with all the floors being scraped up and the interior gutted.

and apparently my garage got a bit cluttered as well!

Default Towing Eyes ...

Ron ... It's been awhile since I have run IT, so a # of new rules have been written. However, my son is tearing apart his '96Mustang GTS for drag racing so I have had a chance to peek underneath. One thing that popped up was where do you plan on placing the now mandated towing eyes (GCR 9.3.48). Obviously, this rule came down thru the GT/Production classes where the full cage offers easy mounting for towing eyes. As IT cages don't run as far to the front/rear as a GT/Production car, where does one attach them? The Mustang bumper is your basic 2.5 mph crush bumper that is 'protected' by the bumper skin & about 6" of styrofoam. Forgetting that the design concept of these bumpers has no provision for pulling (only collapsing under impact), running an 'I' bolt long enough to reach from from the metal bumper to the front/rear of the vehicle would really create some damage if pulled the least little bit off center. I am not questioning the rule as I do understand why it was put into place, just the application of it as it applies to your Mustang (or any other IT car). Talk to me, Ron?

I'll pop in on this one for Ron.
    The bumper support is stronger that you think.
    I have been using it as the anchor for my ISC Racing Tow hook since 2006 and it has been used on multiple occasions.
    (I even use it to hook the cable to when I have to winch it on the trailer)
    It may have a problem if your axle-deep in gravel, but they would most likely be pulling you out from the back at that point anyway.

There is a zip-tie that keeps it tight to the bumper, and from blowing backwards.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLATKITTY View Post
    One thing that popped up was where do you plan on placing the now mandated towing eyes (GCR 9.3.48).
    As you have observed, the Mustang doesn't have dedicated towing bosses/hooks. Mustangs don't break, crash, wreck, or die like imports do so there wasn't a need to include provisions for towing.

I think the bumper is strong enough for light towing duty. We planned on using nylon straps wrapped around the bumpers that would pull out 24" when hooked up and the zip tie was broken. The straps have 2" eyes that would protrude through holes cut in the bumper cover. In fact they are probably on my doorstep right now.

It isn't ideal but will meet the letter of the law and allow towing for offs that aren't in a berm or tree. If in a berm or tree I don't care if the bumper gets pulled left or right a bit. Other bad shit has occurred.

If metal tow points need to be used we'll use aluminum parts from:

http://www.racecartowhooks.com/

And mount them to the front of the bumper bolts.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-07-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Default Tow Straps ...

Whoa ... Mongo like Titanium's pretty red tow straps. What is the OA length?

Ron, asuming that your straps did arrive today, how similar/different are yours from Titanium's?

It's about 10 inches overall.
    Mike does not list the length on his website
    http://www.iscracing.net/accessories.html
    Rodney Williamson

Ron, your car is coming along nicely.
    My car, while not built as an IT car, may have some SN95 features that you can copy.
    I do not know if you plan on reusing the stock tilt column setup, but I did see in your parts pile the metal dash structure that it bolts to.
    I reused my stock column by cutting out its mounting structure and welding that to the cage crossbar behind the dash.

You can see all my build pictures on my website.
    http://www.titaniummotorsports.com/i...ce/Race03.html
    Rodney Williamson

Cool stuff with your cross bar, but we've got to use the stock steering column and supports. The tow straps I have are not 24" long like we thought, but very much like yours. A bit shorter although we've got an adjustment piece in there. Your car is looking good!!

We got a bit more done over the last few days. Fixed stang2's radiator support issue from some bozo hooking a tow rope up to it and about pulling the front end off. A bit of welding and metal fixed that right. The motor is finished up and shipping this week. Things are moving along.

Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-11-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Ron,cage and interior look great. Nice job with the silver paint. Very sanitary looking.!
    Enjoying the thread.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com