Thread: STL engine builds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

B18B1, I tested it for the first time at Roebling this past weekend so its finished for the most part. I'm assuming that's what they tested (B18A1) and if not the differences between motors are .2 in compression between USDM/JDM. Those motors are identical outside of that so they are related just like a JDM B18C-non R and a USDM B18C1.

I need to try to find these IT B18A/B1 specs to see how they are making the power and go from there. I looked at the Ruck ITA integra end it says 150 hp I just dont want to assume whp.

Going from 130ish to 195 is a pretty big jump from cams and a point and a half of compression. I can see it happening with a ported head on the B18B1 since the airflow for that head is pretty dismal.

I wouldn't imagine you plan on discussing how you plan to hit those numbers with the B18C1?
    Last edited by coreyehcx; 11-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com

Ah, but head porting is not allowed in ST Light...

The B18C1 is reportedly making 175-ish whp in ITS trim, and it has another half-point of compression and some cam tuning to go (but not much in the intake lift; that's already at .423"). The nice thing about when we ran that engine in ITS was that I noticed the thing would pull all the way up to redline, and feel like it wanted to go more. So we'll throw valve springs and retainers to take advantage of that, do the overbore, add some compression, do some cam tuning on duration (and add lift on the exhaust), use adjustable cam gears, windage the bottom end, and stick the intake some place where it's very, very cool...tune the Hondata to sweeten the pot and couple it to Type R gears and a numerically-high final drive I think we can get there.

All it takes is time and money, right...?

GA

Definitely, time and money in the development is probably where a decent amount of power is hiding. I made very good power with a B18C1 I built just as a track day vehicle.

I see that motor (B18C1) being able to get there, I'm just having doubts on my selection after seeing these numbers for whp/wt.

I know there are some extra little things I can do here and there outside of oversized pistons etc. I guess if I cant get it close, I could always use most parts and swap them over to the VTEC motor that fit.

I'm really over thinking this, I could have a 10/10ths build and not be competitive due to my own abilities lol.

Thanks for this, pretty good thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
    Here's some insight in regard to where the miata guys think they will come in :

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/201-miata-stl-builds/
    Last edited by coreyehcx; 11-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    CFR STL #59 Civic

www.circuit-racer.com