Thread: "Vintage" IT Rules, ie 1989 or Earlier?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greatly enjoying this discussion - thank you. I ran a Spec7, now an IT-A Rx-7. Also have a street 1985 Rx-7 daily driver and a lovely 3/78 street Rx-7 that I'll probably sell since I can't use it and it's way too nice to race.

The engine issue is HUGE. (Would love to know specifics about replating for the street cars.) Or a good transplant choice.
    What can I do when my race motor goes? I've got spare housings - that need replating, but can't find good engines (affordable or not).

Didn't think you could convert to 13B/GSL-SE without changing _everything_ on the chassis?

Yeah, 12As stopped in 85 - but 2nd Gen motors are already 20 years old (tho still available).

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Greatly enjoying this discussion - thank you. I ran a Spec7, now an IT-A Rx-7. Also have a street 1985 Rx-7 daily driver and a lovely 3/78 street Rx-7 that I'll probably sell since I can't use it and it's way too nice to race.

The engine issue is HUGE. (Would love to know specifics about replating for the street cars.)
    Maybe Tom will fill us in. I THINK he knows of the supplier. Or he knows somebody that does. . Or Steve E knows too I bet. It's not actually replating with the original chromium whatever, it's a new plating process, and, therefor, not kosher.
    Or a good transplant choice.
    What can I do when my race motor goes? I've got spare housings - that need replating,
    ha, spares that need replating are commonplace, and, under the current rules, only useful as large paperweights.
    but can't find good engines (affordable or not).

Didn't think you could convert to 13B/GSL-SE without changing _everything_ on the chassis?

Yeah, 12As stopped in 85 - but 2nd Gen motors are already 20 years old (tho still available).
    Yes, you are right about the ITA 12a to ITS 13B conversion. It's a TON of work, and those cars weren't exactly common anyway. The injection is unique to that year, and I bet you'd need to do the wiring harness as well, to make it run and be legal. And we all know how much we love old Mazda wiring harnesses and the odds of finding one that will come apart...without ..coming apart never to go back together again. LOL

yea, to me the ITA to ITS conversion is basically jumping from the fire into the frying pan.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com