Thread: Radio Frequencies?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    I'm not yet licensed for any of those frequencies.
    Easiest way is to find a "technician" amateur license study guide and then practice taking the test. There are multiple sites that have online tests available for you to practice. I think this one is still free:
    http://www.eham.net/exams/

You can also search for other free exams. Please note that the exam question pools changed this month so make sure you are taking a current practice exam.

Then you can find your local "ham" radio club and see when they offer examinations and take the license exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    What frequencies are typically used for in-car? How do you manage the license requirements? Any insight is appreciated.
    Varies and there is not any "standard" freq's. The FT-60 will only transmit in allocated amateur freq's although there may be modifications that allow it to transmit in other "areas" such as FRS and GMRS.

It should be noted that it violates FCC rules if you transmit with "non approved" radios(like the FT-60) on frequencies outside the amateur bands. You can listen without any mods to the radio.

Good luck, the FT-60 is pretty nice HT. I own one myself.

I also have a transient license for other UHF freqs that I use for race communications, in car and personal radio use. I don't remember how much the license cost, seems it was about $70 and I use old Kenwood, Motorola, and Vertex radios that i picked up on Ebay and used my local contacts to program them to the freq's I wanted.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 07-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown