View Poll Results: Should non-USDM motors be allowed in ST?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - USDM only

23 38.33%
  • YES

30 50.00%
  • Allow on a case by case basis

7 11.67%

Thread: Should NON-US motors be allowed in ST?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    The PTB also puts GPSs in cars at random, and STO is doing the same thing at some races.
    As well, I kinda like the 'pick your points' strategy- you can focus on power, handling, weight, mechanical grip, or aero.. or a combination of any of the above. All of them make the car faster so it's a matter of figuring out what you want to do and going with it. Of course anyone can throw cubic yards of cash at any car in any class and make something really fast- there's nothing anyone can do about that.
    But until then, why not give us po' folk a fighting chance?
    The GPS doesn't work for 2 reasons. ONE not everyone has the oppertunity to calibrate to it. TWO it's still got some bugs to sort out, I was at the NASA event this past weekend at sebring and The TT director put the GPS on several different cars. All registered the cars at signifcantly more horsepower then they actually made (like 100 or more). It also said we had a 5 foot rise in the backstraight (at sebring). The Dyno doesn't work either because there are plenty of ways to "cheat" a dyno. One being to let the car sit there and heat soak like crazy while you wait to roll across the dyno in tech. My old Mini which dyno'd 216whp at normal opperating temp but after coming off track and sitting running for 20mins with the hood down only dyno'd 184whp. Had I know this I'd have showed up with the thing tuned to 250whp cause that's what it did on the first calibration pull at NASA nationals and I was left trying to figure out how to get 34hp out it to pass the dyno. We pulled the rev limiter down 1000rpm on it.
    My car runs in PTA because of all the nick nack points it takes for a Splitter/air dam , Tiny SCCA legal wing, remote reservior shocks etc etc. It's a hopeless car in PTA but after seeing that Both honda and BFG pay for REGIONAL NASA races the car is taking a turn and being built as a NASA PT car first and STU car second. I'm thinking about Bolting a Turbo on and removing it for SCCA races. With Two races in a 2 day weekend and both being relatively short the car actually has a chance of Breaking even in the money department which is the goal.
    Last edited by Mrsideways; 07-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Ian
    #16 STU S2000 with a K24(and still over weight)