Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
I can't argue with that either..

... And that's why NASA's Performance Touring setup is so popular. unfortuantely the unscrupulous are screwing that up too with 'cheater ECUs' and whatnot... but simply limiting power to weight ratios and letting people do what they want to get there is a damn good idea to me..
How popular is it, really? I really don't know.

But I do think it's a VERY 3 dimensional ruleset, and that cubes the difficulty in finding the "Right" combination. By that I mean, will THIS combination make the most competitive package, or this. Or this? Testing testing testing.

Then there's the "make the power below the curve" challenge. More testing, experimentation and parts swapping.

I keep hearing people say,
"It's hp limited, you make more and up a class you go. They have dynos at the track and you roll off and right on the rollers".

SOUNDS like they have it all figured out.
But...... Bob loves PTE, and wants to win. So he hits the top number he can. Now it's time to make that power from 300 rpm all the way to 7500. He doesn't care if it costs money, or if it blows up after three races.
Then he chases his chassis 'point combos' to find the velocity made good winning combo.
At the end, he's faaaaast. And wins. And he spent $$$$$. And everyone else is sad.

Really, that ruleset can be VERY expensive to fully exploit.

Then there's the fact that it's easier than stealing broccoli from a baby to game the whole dyno thing.

What you want is to be able to run a mildly tuned easy to build long lasting motor. You can. BUT, if you want that to be a good racing engine, you need everyone else to agree to the same build. What you really need is somebody to build them, seal them and sell them reasonably to you and all your classmates..

Honda has an ad where they brag about how not one single Honda Indy engine has ever failed. "Because we build it with heart" is their conclusion. Hahahha...no, it's because they build it with a limit. It's powerful but low stressed spec engine. Of course it's not going to blow.