Thread: Best aftermarket wheel bearings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I can't find any Koyo wheel bearings for the 240sx after lots of searching. Anybody got a source for Koyo bearings or even know if they make them for the 240sx? At this point it's either Timken or Nissan OEM. For whatever reason Rockauto has Timken front bearings for $37 while SKF is $51. I may just pick up several of the Timkens at that price. Timken rear bearings are $85 and Courtesy has the Nissan ones for $117. $30 more for Nissan ones doesn't seem too bad.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I have found that many replacement sealed wheel bearings come with very little grease in them. I have taken to poping the seal off and cleaning the stock grease out and repacking them with a better quality grease. I know that this lack of grease was the reason for a bearing failure in less then a year on my DD. Since I have started doing this I have not had a bearing failure.
    Last edited by jimbbski; 06-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Is it a timken 305ag bearing? Check amazon.com 32.00!!!!
    I just got Japanese rear wheel bearings for my 318i for 21.02 a piece!! Cheapest I could find anywhere was 67!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

One thing to keep in mind is that it seems lots of S13s have wheel bearing failure and the torque specs for these are significantly lower than on the S14. I recommend torquing the bearings to at least the max of the specs, if not a bit higher. When I put them on my car, I pound the crap out of the locknut with my impact wrench. haven't had a front one fail yet, and the rear one that failed at my last race was at least 20 years old. the other 3 are OEMs that were on the car when I bought it in 2003.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Today Rockauto had Timken front bearings for $35 and rear for $80. So I now have several bearings ordered. I figure I'll have some extras on hand. Just in case I mess one up trying to get it open to put in new grease for instance.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Got the Timken bearings today. They are Japanese bearings. The front ones say NSK and the rears NTN. Now I just need to split them open to replace the grease. Anybody got any hints on opening them up? Just take a screwdriver and pop out one of inner race halves? That seems to be the only way, but I've never done it.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Refer to my link in post #4 for instructions on how to take them apart.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7