Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

www.keizerwheels.com/ Very light and very accommodating. Chuck

Thanks for that link. I called and talked to Wade, they seem like good folks and are located in Iowa. For 15x7s they do three piece wheels and they range in weight from 9.75 lbs to 11.5 lbs, typically most around 10.5-11.0lbs. Made in the USA, not inexpensive though, at $446 per wheel if you were to buy twelve wheels. $525 each for a set of four. Any backspacing and wheel bolt pattern can be had, backspacing in 1/4" increments. Quick availability, 1-2 weeks. Easily repaired and easily available.

I forget who I ordered my TE37s through, but they had very good customer service. I can look it up if anyone cares. It will take 2-3 months to get them as they get made in Japan and then come over on a boat.

David

How light is stupid light? If I've learned anything on the wheel research it is that the actual weight is often not the advertised weight. 6.5" is a bit of an odd duck but I'll give them a call and report back.

Spin Werkes 15x7 at 11.2 lbs for $208 each is looking to be unbeatable.

Duc thanks, Joey is a nice fellow and very helpful. He says the 15x6.5" is discontinued but Joey said thanks for the recommendation.

Duc thanks, Joey is a nice fellow and very helpful. He says the 15x6.5" is discontinued but Joey said thanks for the recommendation.

Super light, well the package of two 15x7 5x100 was stamped at 25 lbs. They are reported to be 10.8lbs for that size. I will put them on a scale tomorrow.

Sorry they are gone. Would have been a good wheel.

D

Wheel weights

Ron we went through this same thing last year for our 240z you will have to watch the weights for the diff offsets I ended up with both TE37s and Spinworks, The volks are advertised at 10 but that is for the high offsets +35 not the 0 offsets ours come in at 11.8 vs 10.7 for the diff offsets also same for the spinworks advertised at 11.8 vs actual of 12.7 its all in the offsets.
Also if you are looking for a good deal for the spinworks contact Jessie Prather (dealer)over on the Production car page he was offering to match prices and include shipping, The price he quoted were last year but included shipping so they will have gone up (dont forget to figure shipping in the price). That said the info I have is that the old spinworks were lighter by about a lb ea vs the new ones if you find a used set in your pattern/offset.
Not sure but dont some of the BMWs use the same size? If so you may find some used wheels on the other pages??

Ron we went through this same thing last year for our 240z you will have to watch the weights for the diff offsets I ended up with both TE37s and Spinworks, The volks are advertised at 10 but that is for the high offsets +35 not the 0 offsets ours come in at 11.8 vs 10.7 for the diff offsets also same for the spinworks advertised at 11.8 vs actual of 12.7 its all in the offsets.
Also if you are looking for a good deal for the spinworks contact Jessie Prather (dealer)over on the Production car page he was offering to match prices and include shipping, The price he quoted were last year but included shipping so they will have gone up (dont forget to figure shipping in the price). That said the info I have is that the old spinworks were lighter by about a lb ea vs the new ones if you find a used set in your pattern/offset.
Not sure but dont some of the BMWs use the same size? If so you may find some used wheels on the other pages??

Nah, the Bimmer pattern is 5 on a 120mm bolt circle.

The Motegi are the splitting hairs, they have a 4.9KG stamp on them, but actually came in at 4.98 KG on the postal scale (not the best). 4.98 KG is 10.97 LBS

Compared to the 17.0 lbs rims I am currently running, I am going to have a hard time believing that I will not feel the difference of a 24lbs loss of weight in a car that is below 2900 (without driver), let alone un-sprung weight.

Maybe I need to ping Per for a redo at Daytona? Come up with exact same tires and go at it.

D

Tire Rack has a 9.X lbs 15x7 wheel advertised in the front cover of the current Sportscar. I'll check that one out as well as the other company Jeff mentioned and report back.

A bit more information:

Team Dynamics has 15x7s but they are on the heavy side, at 13.3 lbs in the lightest offset. They can do a native five on 4.5" pattern. Pro Race 1.2 is the wheel that is 15x7 in that pattern. I don't have the price yet.

There was an interesting technical description on their site that describes spin forging, the process they and Spin Werkes use to make their wheels.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-forged/forging-process.htm

The Tirerack 15x7 at 9.5 lbs turned out to be a Enkei RPF1 with a four on 100mm that would also require and adapter to mount on a Mustang, bringing total weight to about 12 lbs. Guys was really helpful though and searched through many wheels for me looking for something under 12 lbs.

I have the ProRace2s -- they are the gold wheels I run the 275s and the rains on.

I think they were $200/each for me.

A bit more information:

Team Dynamics has 15x7s but they are on the heavy side, at 13.3 lbs in the lightest offset. They can do a native five on 4.5" pattern. Pro Race 1.2 is the wheel that is 15x7 in that pattern. I don't have the price yet.

There was an interesting technical description on their site that describes spin forging, the process they and Spin Werkes use to make their wheels.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-forged/forging-process.htm

The Tirerack 15x7 at 9.5 lbs turned out to be a Enkei RPF1 with a four on 100mm that would also require and adapter to mount on a Mustang, bringing total weight to about 12 lbs. Guys was really helpful though and searched through many wheels for me looking for something under 12 lbs.

I paid $150 a piece shipped for my 15x7 ProRace 1.2 wheels a couple years ago. I contacted Team Dynamics directly and ordered directly from them.

David

I will now endorse the Kodiak wheels. They are standing behind their product and replacing all the cracked centers for the rims and strengthen them. No charge. These are 16-8.5 made for itr and weigh fifteen pounds. Price is now $530 per wheel! Down a few bucks.

You're so lucky to have more choices than Porsche

Has anyone looked into wheel stiffness? I had a copy of a Pratt & Miller report from years back where they tested wheel deflection and it was suprising how much some of the wheels moved under load. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Alloy wheels are generally stiffer than steel wheels, even though many steel wheels can be lighter. The benefit is the stiffness of the wheel, both axially and radially. I'd steer clear of steel wheels, even though NASCAR uses them.

[FONT=&quot]To summarize what I learned in looking for 15x7s with a five on 4.5” (114.3mm) pattern:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Enkei doesn’t make the light race wheel in the five on 4.5” pattern and requires 2 lb adapters. [/FONT]

Team Dynamics’s lightest wheel, Prorace 1.2/2 is at 13.x lbs and is in the native lug pattern. About $200 a wheel.

[FONT=&quot]Real Wheels has a 12.x lb wheel but it must have the wide five adapter to run on the hub (included in the weight). $236 each. Possible but a bit weird.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kosei doesn’t make the 5 on 4.5” pattern any longer. The wheel would require a 2 lb adapter driving the weight up over 13 lbs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Volks’ lightest wheel is at 9.8 lbs but requires a 2 lb adapter pushing weight to almost 13 lbs. >$500 per wheel. Volks has a CE28N in the five on 4.5” pattern at 10.6 lbs for $550 per wheel. Possible but really spendy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spin Werkes has a native five on 4.5” pattern at 11.2 lbs, $208 per wheel in eight to twelve are bought. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Keizer Wheels, native pattern, around 11 lbs. $525 each.[/FONT]

Motegi doesn’t offer the five on 4.5” any longer.

Last edited:
Back