Further update: I pulled the head last night and found #2 cylinder head gasket blown out. The bottom end rotates freely. Apparently when the gasket went the engine died and all the oil in the accusump was forced into the engine as well as the coolant, which was also under pressure. This may have filled up the oil pan to the point that the motor was hydrolocked. This may be why when I attempted to start the engine in the padock it would not turn over.

Until I pull the engine out of the car I can't say if the short block is damaged in any way but I will not reuse it intill it is checked out. I will use the known good short block I got out of a parts car to get the car running again.

What I will do is take the head apart and have it milled flat, there is a small bit of damage at the site of the blown gasket. How much can you take off safely? I want to take off as little as possible knowing IT rules limit how much you can anyway. I will also dissasemble the short block and have that decked, again taking as little as possible to get it flat.

With fresh bearings it shoud be good for the rest of this year? Would it be worth while having the cylinders lightly honed and installing new rings? Or since I'm not boring the cylinders to just go with what is there.