Battling Jeff Young's TR8 at VIR

Holy cow does your car make some top-end power! You always have great in-car vid, and that was a great battle with Jeff. Whose Z is that that was dicing with you guys in the first third of the race?

I think it is as much top end aero as it is power.

What really impressed me with Zsolt's car vis a vis an RX7 is the mid range. I pull Ron's Z car WAY more in the mid than Zsolt's. Sme with good RX7s.

Had a lot of fun racing Zsolt that race. Cool, fun, clean battle.

The Z car was a guy named Nathan Lucas. Outside pole sitter. Dude was LOOSE. Set a blazing lap in qual but couldn't lay it down in the race.

Zsolt and I caught the ITS leader next to last lap (green RX7). In my opinion, we had the two fastest ITS cars, at least for the last half of that race.

The Z car was a guy named Nathan Lucas. Outside pole sitter. Dude was LOOSE. Set a blazing lap in qual but couldn't lay it down in the race.
QUOTE]

Nate had a motor failure. The car was great in qualifying but as soon as we took the green it started to tighten up. Apparently was spraying oil on the rear tires in select corners which made for an interesting drive.. Then the oil pressure dropped so he shut it down..

Al, good to see you posting. Sorry we didn't get a chance to say hello.

Nice lap in qual on Saturday. Not sure any S car has turned a 15 at VIR in a few years.

Thanks Jeff! The qualifying conditions were just about perfect Saturday AM.. Clean track and nice crisp air! Had a great time visiting VIR, looking forward to next time.

What camera are you running? Looks good!

GoProHD

Zsolt has a hunda, it's fast, put in 100 lbs!

Fast!?!!? Har! Couldn't even pass a heap of a Triumph! I think I need a 100# weight reduction and a cam allowance!!! :026:

Nate had a motor failure. The car was great in qualifying but as soon as we took the green it started to tighten up. Apparently was spraying oil on the rear tires in select corners which made for an interesting drive.. Then the oil pressure dropped so he shut it down..

Ah. That would explain it. Sounds exciting to say the least!

Dammit Spiff!!! when are you going to put a gear in that 4 speed car???? Chuck

Chuck ... I paid a lot of money converting this thing into a 4 speed.

As Marcus Grönholm once said, "3 gears are enough!". :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvJhdiDwYU[/ame]

Hey Chuck when your engine is at the rev limit Zsolt's is just starting to get happy. Got to keep it between 6000 and 8500 rpm. And he doesn't need a 5th gear.

Blake, last time I checked the mechanical advantage in the context of accelerating a mass, the more gear you have the quicker you accelerate. He is leaving a lot on the table. CB

We only changed the FD ratio by 4%. Trust me you do not want to use 5th in this car. Car is way faster this way. Zsolt has data to prove it.

Last edited:
Nice driving. looks like a blast to run with those guys.

Just for some comparo..
4th gear in my car is 1:1. 5th gear is stupid-tall at 0.76
stock final drive is 4.08

at MSR-Houston, I used to hit 6500rpm (redline) in 4th at the end of the straights. in the short corners, I could come off them at 5800in 2nd or bogging in 3rd (stupid stock gearbox!!)

I stuck a 4.6 rear end in the car so I came off the corners in the meat of 3rd gear and would have to go into 5th halfway down the straight.
BUT
4.6 * 0.76 = 3.496
4.08 * 1.00 = 4.08 (obviously)

So I wound running half the straight with an effective ratio of 3.5 instead of a 4.1.

at the end of the day, I was 3 seconds a lap SLOWER with the 4.6 rear end. doh.

Nice driving. looks like a blast to run with those guys.

Just for some comparo..
4th gear in my car is 1:1. 5th gear is stupid-tall at 0.76
stock final drive is 4.08

at MSR-Houston, I used to hit 6500rpm (redline) in 4th at the end of the straights. in the short corners, I could come off them at 5800in 2nd or bogging in 3rd (stupid stock gearbox!!)

I stuck a 4.6 rear end in the car so I came off the corners in the meat of 3rd gear and would have to go into 5th halfway down the straight.
BUT
4.6 * 0.76 = 3.496
4.08 * 1.00 = 4.08 (obviously)

So I wound running half the straight with an effective ratio of 3.5 instead of a 4.1.

at the end of the day, I was 3 seconds a lap SLOWER with the 4.6 rear end. doh.

Good food for thought Matt! I've been figuring out what to do about that stuff myself... What size tire/wheel do you run? I currently have 45r15's and have to go to 5th at 88 or something like that :/ At LRP I shift to 5th going down the hill!

So yea, to the OP I don't like my 5th either! lol

This goes against everything people have been doing for years. Zsolt's box will only work at few tracks like this. At Daytona there is no way it would work.

Back