Thread: Windsheild wiper switch Bypass

Angry Windsheild wiper switch Bypass

Appears that our wiper switch is bad have not been able to locate one. Anyone bypass the factory switch and install an toggle on/off switch?
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

you have the FSM and that has the wireing diagram for it. Just figure out if the switch controls Ground Or Power. most control ground.

Then determine which wire is low or high or intermitant and control that wire with the switch. Very possable its gonna take a switch 2 butt connectors a piece of wire and a sheet metal screw to the chassis. The first gen is that way. the switch controled the ground to the chassis i think.

I cant remember,besides rainx works great.

I think that's an illegal modification!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Appears that our wiper switch is bad have not been able to locate one. Anyone bypass the factory switch and install an toggle on/off switch?
    Here you go http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=848533

I don't know if it is legal for IT, I did it on my EP car.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

the major rx7 forum (can't post links as a newb) has several people who repair them.

I'm not on the forums much, but I repair them too. PM or email me for details. I don't do it as a 'business' any more but I have time for the odd repair.

-Mike Harrington
    -Rotarymike

So, I cant find anything in the rules, but is it legal to remove the wiper switch and install an external switch? This is the way the car I just bought has been wired for years
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    So, I cant find anything in the rules...
    I think you just found your answer. But I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over it.

I just did this on my 1st gen. I used the factory wiring harness. Disconnected it from the stock switch. Looked at the FSM wiring diagram to figure out which wires needed to be connected to make it work. Used spade connectors to connect the factory connector to an on-off-on switch from radio shack. The on-off-on switch lets you have hi and low speed. The only drawback with this system is that is doesn't auto-park. The wipers just stop where ever they are when the switch is off. The picture shows the factory connector with the spade connectors going to the switch, which is covered with blue masking tape, because I was just painting the dash support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tried some by pass tried to get motor to run by doing direct power to motor no luck motor does not run. Motor turns very hard. Wiper linkage free looks like I may have to call friendly parts store.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.