Thread: Weber 32/36 Plastic Float level

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I raced a Fiesta from 1988-1995 and i also owned a 3 Capris before that and I used the 90 deg. addaptor to bolt on my Weber to the Fiesta manifold. I used the 1974 version but took a mill to it and machined off most of the extra bosses and material that wasn't needed. Then used some epoxy to fill the gaps left and to built a divider inside the addaptor to split the air flow to match the stock Fiesta intake flange. The Capri addaptor is open so you should do something to smooth the airflow into the manifold. Never any fuel starvation in the turns.

As for floats I have used the plastic ones as well as the brass ones. Never had a problem with either. Where are the brass ones breaking? How are you setting the float level?

I
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

I did have the carb turned 90 a while back, then some guy said he knew how to fix the issue. He did his magic and it's been sitting non-90 for 4 or so years now with no issue... Until I used the plastic float. On my brass type, one of the floats actually came off the cross arm.

How do I set the float? For the first measurement I push the float until it touches the little ball on the needle. The second measurement is when it's just hanging down. And I use the specs that weber recommends for each type of float. Seemed to work great for the brass one, not good for the plastic one.
    Last edited by Florida Fiesta; 02-18-2011 at 03:33 PM.

When i set the float level I place the carb top upside down and adjusted the closing point so that the float was a bit higher then level. That is when the top is right side up the closing point is when the float is level or just below level. Never want to get it past level.

As for the brass float I would guess that the quality control is just not what it used to be. Have you tried to re-sodier the float to the cross bar?

I use to have plenty of carb parts but all I have now is a small box of misc. main jets, idle jets, air correctors, and emulsion tubes. Can't give them away as who uses carb anymore?
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

I use one on my Chumpcar. It is too small so I am taking it off. It is turned, float to driver side. I had a few issues with starvation one way or the other, so I just raised the plastic float. Now it will perculate flood on a hot shut down. We work around it by shutting of ff the pumps upon pit entry .
    It works fine, only not enough air for my 2.0. I am going to a Rochester 2bbl.
    I have plenty of parts..
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/