Thread: Seat Back Brace Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    I'm not quite getting you.
    not safe is a back brace on a composite seat, with a mount fab'ed by the owner. some FIA seats have back brace mounts built in. These are safe, and in the case of Racetech, required to be in conformance to 8862-2009. Racetech is the only 1 out of 4 seat manufacturers on that list to homologate their seats with back braces. only about 10 8855-1999 seats were homologated with a back brace, all but 3 of those are Racetech (the others are GM and BMW, I might have missed one more). The rest are only lateral or lower mounting to an unspecified bracket.

not safe is a shotty mounting of the seat to the thin floorboard of a 50 year old production car using bolts and standard washers. or 10 years old. still too thin.

not safe is a lot of production car seat sliders being used to mount a racing seat. often this is more true if the sliders are modified.

the rules state no FACTORY sliders wihtouyt a back brace. this is a good start, I guess - the back brace requirement still needs to be eliminated for seats that aren't designed for it, and such seats need to be mounted appropriately or disallowed, period.

FIA does NOT homologate seat mounts EXCEPT those homologated WITH the seat to 8862-2009 (tech list 40). on the Recarro brochure page cited above, the specific models homologated with those seat mounts are called out under the bold "Recaro racing shells" (for what it's worth, the seat mount cited in the homologation is Recaro PN 7307802). so we are left with having to DECIDE, in a repeatable manner, if an aftermarket, adjustable seat mount is sufficiently strong for mounting a racing seat because the GCR does not address this (except by omission), nor does the FIA ( which I feel the GCR is pointing to for acceptance criteria based on wording that was in the proposed rules, and since stricken / not adopted).

Most if not all of the adjustable seat mounts offered by the seat OEMs for use in motorsports are more than sufficient, but other aftermarket sliders often times are not. ditto many (not all) car OE sliding mounts. without some sort of identification and testing, it's too friggin hard to say what's good enough, objectively. SCCA chose to not trust what came in the car, and anything else is fair game. I think the restriction should be tighter than that, and manufacturer should be evident at minimum, and be a manufacturer of note with FIA homologated product, OR a list of allowed sliding mounts needs to be generated to get around the issue.

STATIC mounting remains, to me, and issue because the specification in the GCR are too slim and inadequate for making a reasonable baseline standard for mounting strenght. all one needs to do is adapt some of the rules from seat belt mounting for this purpose (load spreading washers, minimum hardware grades, etc...) to make a big improvement to the rules as they stand.

I wrote a LOT of letters and did a lot of leg work (phone work) talking to a lot of seat manufacturers, resellers, and reps, taking measurements, and getting information to shoot down the back brace requirements as they were floated. what we have now is an imperfect rule thats a lot better than the potential alternative would have been (requireing back braces on any seat without FIA approved mounts, which don't REALLY exist).

my appologies, steve, if I came accross in support of a back brace bolted to holes drilled in a composite seat. I wouldn't waste time crash testing such a setup for fear of writing off an expensive dummy. it's a ludicrously bad idea, and rather than encouraged, it should disallowed outright.

the trouble here is that many club racers aren't building to GrandAm quality, or on a GrandAm budget. they might have a welder... and a few dollars, and oh shit, this rule just changed... oh, look - these mounts from APC fit my honda, easy button! ouch - I'm dead. there's a BIG technology and prep level variation in the padock. anyone who works tech (like steve, tGA, myself, many others) knows this very well. the rules have to address this to keep the unsafe out, and minimize arguments and subjective mistakes at the tech shed.
    Last edited by Chip42; 02-07-2011 at 06:59 PM.

See, this is the kind of thing that drives me insane about how we approach safety. I go and buy the best bits I can find, spend real $$ with a reputable manufacturer with tons of motor sports experience, work hard to engineer their parts into my vehicle...

...and then someone who wants to write a self-enforcing rule obliterates my hard work and decision making. I'd be fine with a non-sliding bracket that was pop riveted to the floor but the proper stuff that goes in GT cars all over the world isn't OK...?

I got told at the ARRC that I couldn't mount my FIA shoulder harnesses the way the manufacturer describes, either.

Argh.

K

EDIT for Chip - the side brackets bolt to the sliders.
    Last edited by Knestis; 02-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.

We are on the same page Chip. The sliders that are used in everything from GA to Porsche Cup are full containment, double locking and meet the requirements as written today. They have approved side or bottom mounts for the seat spec bolted to them with the specified grade and size of hardware. Unless the seat manufacturer designs the back brace system with the seat it is dangerous and opens legal liability SCCA does not want to deal with. Where we really agree is how badly some seat systems are then mounted to the car. Yet they would be legal as Kirk mentions. I have seen enough to be confident in my setup. I even designed a full width , movable back brace in case the proposed rule went through. Glad it is not needed.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    EDIT for Chip - the side brackets bolt to the sliders.
    yeah I know but a lot of seats could be bolted to the bottom mounts that are there and NOT homologated. I was thinking of that installation.

I'm glad we're all on the same page. I'll shut up now.

This is a question purely to satisfy my curiosity. I know in Canada FIA trumps all. The FIA cage rules have a very specific and practically incomprehensible set of instructions and drawings on how to mount your FIA seat. If you mount your seat using the FIA guidelines, and carry the rules with you to show the inspectors, would SCCA have to accept it, or does the SCCA consider itself the final authority on these issues?

Same question applies to cage construction.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.