Thread: STx Notes, February Fastrack

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    First, ignore rotaries, they are an entirely different genre, and each is rather unique, even within that genre. They will have to be treated as special cases individually, so, including them in any argument against non USDM engines is moot.

Second, the BIG issue here is that the class weight setting system is set up on a theoretical basis, but the rules are limit everyone to real world parts. Parts that influence potential power.

Those are completely at ODDs with one another.

The allowance of non USDM engines would be a step in the right direction, IMO. I 'get' the concern for policing things, but, I think that concern overstated. As Chip points out, requiring English language documentation is appropriate.
    I do not see how that doesn't resolve the policing issue to a great extent.

Further, the HP levels that have been chosen are very lofty, with only a few engines capable of achieving them, right? Are there many examples of non USDM engines capable of exceeding them?
    Regarding rotary engines, I don't see your point as all that valid. Weights are currently applied by displacement to 12A and 13B engines. The Renesis is classed at the same weight as a 13B but has a porting restriction.

You further seem to indicate that alternate rotary engines could be classed and spec'd on a case by case basis. Is this really what we want to deal with? Especially if this was extended to all of the engine options in the class. Do we really want spec lines that are as complicated as Prod or GT?

Overall, my concern is not with the widely available and cost effective JDM/Euro spec engine. I am not even all that worried about documentation - it can be a requirement that can be enforced. Instead my concern is that there will be a uber powerful, limited production, hard to find, and expensive JDM/Euro spec engine that find it's way into STx. How is this scenario policed and how is this caught BEFORE the engine in the class?

I'm open to ideas....sell me. The arguement that it is "good for the class" is not a good one because an over-dog super rare power plant would be just as bad for the class. So you need to try harder.
    Last edited by mustanghammer; 01-25-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17