Thread: Looking for my first tow vehicle (also trailer) - Truck Budget ~$4k

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    We were very happy with our 95 GMC conversion van (2500 chassis), and 16' open trailer for the past 5 years. It was almost perfect for the job. Cheap to buy, simple to maintain, dry bed to sleep in at the track, and dry/secure tool storage at the track. Ours has the 5.7 tbi motor, and the tall rear end gears, which unexpectedly are perfect for towing. Just drop it out of D into 3 and the motor sits right at the 'sweet spot' when pulling at 65-70mph. This setup is for sale now for $4k (van and trailer). I would think you could find deals like this in your part of the country too.

Family needs have put me into a 25' class C motorhome for towing duties, and once the van and/or trailer sells I will probably pick up a 20' enclosed as well, but I will miss having the van as an extra vehicle to drive when a daily driver is in the shop, and for use as a home improvement project tool.

So which model van is that? With any luck, I will find a deal like yours close by.

I think part of the problem I'm having in finding these vehicles is that I don't know what to search for. I know nothing about trucks, vans and such.

Are high mileage vans from those airport shuttle places a good option? I see some of them for sale around my budget. The mileage is scary though. One has 300k + on it but supposedly has new engine and trans.
    Last edited by alberto_mg; 10-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.