Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
For what it might - or might not - be worth, Bill, I think you're proposing a solution that doesn't match your problem.

If you blew up an engine in three races, that's an "engine builder problem," unless there's something WAY odd about those MOPARs that I don't understand. Replacing the entire box that the engine goes in isn't going to fix that, particularly since regardless of what you buy you're getting an unknown quantity in the NEW powerplant.

The "transactional costs" of changing marques is going to be a huge impact on a small budget. Special tools (got the VW-necessary rear caliper adjuster? Double square drive for the CV joints? Big thing for the head bolts?), wheels, spares, and most importantly know-how... They all cost $$.

K
While that's a good point about changing horses mid-stream. Having been a motor builder in a previous career, and having rebuild several odd-balls. Many GM, Chrysler, and even some Ford motors of this era have unique problems that may prohibit them from being successfuly rebuilt like their predecessors from the 60's. Try finding a torque plate/ring gear for a '76 Capri II, I was in the biz when I went looking and what I found was a gear that matches the domestic starter, not the Bosh starter. How about head bolts that bottom out when the block or head is decked. Or there's the rocker arms wearing out in the 2.2 chrysler. The fact is Bill's choosen an unusual car and there comes a point where it's no longer supportable because the numbers just aren't there to keep it rolling. In the interest of his having fun I think he should consider the ITC GTi for $2k sounds like a deal...