Thread: 93 notch mustang 2.3 vs 5.0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Big3Tom View Post
    Well, the decision has been made to build the car to ITR V-8 specs. Now we start looking for a donor GT.

Since the spec line calls out GT and LX, can I use GT parts when the Notch was only a LX? What if I find a police interceptor notch, that was an LX model.

Tom

Look long and hard at that decision.

I was one of the folks responsible for getting V8 Mustangs into ITR and the proposal was narrow in scope to increase the chances of passing. So, we specified only Mustang GTs. Bear in mind that excludes Mustang Cobra (1993) and any nice parts it has to offer (improved heads, intake, and rear discs - the real key).

If you choose a 86-93 GT Mustang you're at a pretty high weight with small front discs and drum rears. The current climate around the CRB/ITAC pretty much guarentees no changes to cars in the foreseeable future, so don't request adjustments to the car - know the car going into it.

A better choice, IMHO, is the 1994/1995 Mustang GT which is, at today's prices, about the same. A running 90 GT will cost you $1400, a running 94 GT is around $2500 where I'm at. Not a whole lot more given how much money will eventually go into a top notch ITR car.........

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    was the police intercepter model available from the factory on the lot, that wasn't a dealer option? From the sounds of it it was offered to the "police" and not the public.
    It wasn't offered to the public and it isn't on the spec line. As I recall there wasn't much to it either - engine oil cooler, better radiator, hoses, swaybar, better alternator, etc. Engine output was the same, despite some myths to the contrary. Check the Ford sites, they'll run it down for you.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 04-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.