Thread: NHMS TeamDI Pro IT Race - April 10th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK guys. Lets all take a deep breath.

I had a whole story written last night but it did not update for some reason. Probably a good thing as I have had a chance to settle down a bit.

The Red Car. OK all of us that were driving in qualifing and in the race that came upon the situation(s) have our own thoughts about it. About 5 cars were damaged due to (or by coincidence of being near the situation of) this car / driver.

The same car (not sure of the driver) crashed twice during the Watkins Glen Enduro last fall and the car hit me (after it recovered from spin in the Laces of the Boot) as I was turning in for turn 11. The driver was quite indignant about it by his hand gesture afterward.

I would love for the person driving to give his side of the NHMS situation. None of us knows this side of the story.

Phil # 38 Miata

I believe we may need to start a drivers group to discuss issues like this situation among ourselves at the track. Personally I will be giving this car a wide berth in the future. I do no want to get involved racing with it.

Greg, I understand your statement earlier, but if you were there I believe you may be of a different opinion. If this car were driven by Jackie Stewart I believe his behavior should be reviewed and be discussed.

I hope no drivers were hurt. I feel bad for Windell as he was at my right rear quarter panel as we rounded turn 9 where the Civic had spun. I went left and missed the Honda while Windell hit him head on and pushed the Civic into Yannis's door. The fact that the Civic then drove the racing line bakc to 11/12 while leaking all it's fluids and catching fire did not help make friends either.
    Last edited by FastM3; 04-15-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: no name

Phil, you're absolutely correct: I was not there, I'm only making a commentary on who I assumed was driving.

However, you also bring up another great point: how/whether to confront a driver that displays a consistent history of unacceptable driving. Why is it that we are pretty OK with beating the crap outta each other on the track (usually figuratively, sometimes literally) but we become such wussies when it comes to important face-to-face adult discussions? We have that same problem with protesting cars, too, a misplaced concern that we might "offend" someone? Or is it that we feel a lot safer when we're in the car, with a less chance of getting punched in the face?

Maybe I'm different, but I rarely have issue with walking up to someone, asking them to step aside and talk to me in private, and letting my feelings be known. I'm not always right - after all, there are different points of view to everything - but at least that conflict doesn't fester, possibly resulting in more conflict going forward. At worst the person tells you to go pound sand (and a $25 visit to the Stewards can address that); at best they respond with "sorry, I didn't recognize that, I'll keep it in mind". But to ignore it and hope it goes away accomplishes nothing.

On the flip side, we need to be able to accept criticism as well. As you well know (), I've been involved in conflicts and I always do my best to keep an open mind to learn "why" and try not to let it happen again. And, whenever I do get into a conflict - my fault or not - I do my best to find that person and get it resolved ASAP (probably a lot due to my aviation experience; when you're flying formation within only a wingspan of 2-5 other airplanes cockiness is destructive in post-flight debriefs; if you can't take criticism others won't fly with you.) If I were to dig my heels into the sand and demand I'm always right, then things would never change...at that point those that have conflict with me have the right - the responsibility - to toss paper; an unresolved conflict will likely result in serious damage or injury in the future.

We don't need a driver's advocate to do our laundry for us, but should you feel the need you can always get a Steward involved to administrate a non-formal discussion. But the absolute WORST thing you can do is to hope it goes away on its own...

GA

Greg addresses an age-old issue. Maybe we can BREED the behavior we want. What if as part of the driver-advocates responsibilities, they moderate a manditory 'round table' with any drivers that have contact during a session (with an available Steward present if possible).

When it becomes manditory and 'easy' to voice your opinion in a structured and protected environment, I think people will become much more aware of each other.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I rarely have issue with walking up to someone, asking them to step aside and talk to me in private, or scream at them in impound...........

GA

Fixed!

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I thought you guys might enjoy a couple photos from the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looked like a really fun race. Once I get more experience in the car I definately want to come out and join you guys. i saw someone had an inquiry about the MARRS series with drivers reps. the drivers reps are really nice to have. Because of the level of competition, and speeds on the track, people are not really hesitant to speak to the driver in quesiton. The driver rep is a nice addition because if the whole field (or a any amount of people) has a problem, they can speak with the drivers rep, and the DR will speak to the driver in question. Which is effectively the whole group talking to the driver as one person which keeps the driver from getting defensive. The DR's also help fight for and issue fair track time, paddock spots, and if there is incidents on track they also play a part helping the stewards. I'm suprised more regions don't have Drivers Reps, they're a good buffer between Drivers/Stewards and Drivers and each other. (Reps are Drivers too btw)

Hope this helps,
    Steven

Phil,
    It was fun to get to challenge each other. The best part was that we both got our fastest laps at the end of the race.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Adding my 2 cents to the crash, since I was the one with the unfortunate premium view and the "ass on the line" (damn, that bumper was all new!):

The red car spun all by itself. He did not lock the breaks and rolled back on the track. That move caused the cars behind him to almost come to a stop (e.g. me). A half a dozen cars behind me were lined up - and wham! Rob N. didn't see me early enough, locked up on the inside line and hit me.

Lessons learned:
    1. hit the breaks to prevent the car from rolling back on the track. It is very dangerous and unpredictable for other drivers to have a car shoot across the track

2. Qualifying is not a race. I don't understand why there are so many bulks of cars together sometimes even racing each other. With so many cars at different speeds close together the lap is wasted anyway - why not slow down, let the others go, relax the tires - and get a free, fast lap? This is way more effective, not speak of the risks (see above).
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Rob

Lessons learned:
    1. hit the breaks to prevent the car from rolling back on the track. It is very dangerous and unpredictable for other drivers to have a car shoot across the track

2. Qualifying is not a race. I don't understand why there are so many bulks of cars together sometimes even racing each other. With so many cars at different speeds close together the lap is wasted anyway - why not slow down, let the others go, relax the tires - and get a free, fast lap? This is way more effective, not speak of the risks (see above).
    Excellent points .... Don't be too surprised if you hear them again

Terry

Huge thanks goes out to Glen Lawton and Robert Blake! That was a great suprise to receive the DVD in the mail, complete with highlights index and race results.

THAT WAS SUPER COOL!!!!! You guys rock
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion