Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
Do you know why they make that recommendation?
The bearing surfaces in a rotary engine are very large and in order to maintain a good oil film they recommended thicker viscosity oil. As far as longevity is concerned my Prather IT7 engine lasted for 7 years using Amsoil and or Mobil 1 20/50. It died when an oil cooler line failed...was running real good that day too So, as far as synthetic oil is concerned, we have seen no problems with it. We also do not have functioning oil injection on any of our engines - we use 2 cycle oil and premix 100 to 1.

For sure, the best way to fight a dry start is to install an accumsump. My engine will have one in my STU car. In addition to having the bearings lubed at startup an accusump will prevent oil starvation on the race track. I installed an oil pressure light (yeah after I lost an oil line) and on occassion it flickers after abrupt manuvers.....like turn 5 at Gateway. All that said, I have yet to pull apart a dead street engine that had bad bearings. The housing were trashed but the E-Shaft and stationary gear bearings were fine.