The cost question leaps past a LOT of mediating variables:

IT Goes National --> Cost Skyrocket for Everyone

No. Absolutely not, unless a bunch of qualifiers get inserted into the assertion. Ultimately, "competitiveness" has got to be considered in there somewhere. If one wants to be the biggest fish in a pond, AND the IT pond gets bigger (more competitive) because the category gains National status, then (duh) it's going to cost THOSE FISH more to maintain their dominance.

But asking the pond to stay small to maintain the status quo for individuals happy with their situations? That's bad old SCCA mentality - me, me, ME, MEEEE...!!

If Joe Racer is currently spending $25,000/year of his discretionary dough to race an IT car, he can continue to do that. If that doesn't buy him as many trophies as he's used to because the fields get deeper and tougher, that's tough ta-tas. And it's likely - I think - that a National option would siphon off the most committed ($$) of the current Regional racers, would pull a bunch of folks out of other categories (like SM did to IT), and leave the competitive equilibrium for REGIONAL IT races/series about where they currently are.

K