Thought I'd share it, in the hopes that it inspires others to share their opinions through constructive criticism... (even if it is a little long )

Greetings. I am writing as a long-time (10 year) IT competitor and interested SCCA member, on the subject of the IT Advisory Committee and the Comp Board. I am hoping that my input will provide useful and help ensure the continued health of the IT classes.

Over the recent few years, with the leadership of the ITAC and the support of the CRB, SCCA has made some modest changes to the IT classes; first and foremost, a modest but fundamental change to the nature of the classes, in striving to achieve some decent competitive parity within the classes by adjusting the class goals, and secondly, by adjusting classification details of a number of cars to support that goal of parity.

The results speak for themselves. Since I started racing IT in 2000, the classes have changed from being dominated by only one or two cars to supporting a wide range of equally-competitive models. The broad base of competitiveness, accompanied by the ease of entry to the class, has led to some of the best racing, both locally at Regionals, and at the biggest events of the season for IT, the IT-Spectacular and the ARRC. I've had the distinct pleasure to be able to compete in both of those in the past few years. The competitive environment clearly shows that the IT classes not only meet, but exceed their goal. Not only are they a very affordable entry-level class for beginning racers; with sufficient commitment and focus, they can provide access to some of the best amateur racing in the country!

The last couple of months, however, have brought about some changes in the CRB and ITAC which raise substantial concern about the future health of IT. While the classes, as they stand, are very well-positioned at the moment, it has become apparent that a true strategic vision for the future of IT is either lacking or not shared within the rule-making organization. Confusion and doubt about this and related matters has now lead to the high-profile resignations of a large portion of the ITAC - the very group, the individuals who have been instrumental in making these classes so successful to date.

This should raise concern to the Board, given that the IT classes are, more or less, the bread and butter classes of IT racing. SCCA can afford to neglect them no more than Toyota can afford to neglect making the perfect Camry - even if they're not quite as sexy as the GT or Formula classes. Today's success, taken for granted, becomes tomorrow's failure.

Transparency and accountability are critical instruments for the Club to meet the needs of its members. In order for the Club to continue to prosper, in the face of both a very difficult economy and strong competition, the Club must be able to clearly demonstrate, on a daily basis, how well it is meeting the needs and wants of its members. While the recent institution of an electronic letter tracking system by the CRB is a step in the right direction, there is still much more to be done to make transparency and accountability a reality.

Therefore I would urge the Board of Directors to please investigate the status of the IT Advisory Committee, its relationship with the CRB, and the vision for the future of the IT classes. Please make sure that these classes, a key part of the backbone to the Club Racing program, are ensured a viable future, and not mired in stasis and allowed to decay, as other classes have been allowed to do in the past.

Demonstrate SCCA's continued leadership in amateur racing now, by establishing the groundwork for a strong future.

Thanks for your time and your service to the Club.

Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region, member # 280052
[email protected]