Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
So, 240/260/280 drum brake racers might need to consider lobbying for some sort of rule change because racing with steel drums is technically illegal.
GCR/ITCS 9.1.3.C says, in part:
"Documentation of the superseding parts or assemblies must be supplied to the Club Racing Department and the appropriate part numbers listed on that particular model’s specification line."
If you saunter down to your local Nissan dealership and order a pair of rear drums for a Z-car, what will you get? I'll wager a dollar you'll get a pair of steel drums. As such, the steel ones are not only legal, they're the only legal new part for the car. So, no lobbying needed, all one needs to do is provide the Club Racing Department with valid documentation that the aluminum parts are no longer available, and ask them to spec on the line that steel equivalents are expressly legal (although I can't imagine anyone dropping the money and effort to protest you for that). Contact Paul St. Clair at NisMo; I bet he can provide that to you same-day via FAX or email.

On the other hand, if you guys really think you'll get rear discs approved for the car simply because the aluminum drums are no longer available, well you're smokin' the funny stuff -- and this month's Fastrack should have put that idea to bed pretty quickly... - GA