Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
Yep, I think you're right on the cast iron. Been awhile since I looked though.

Now on the "ally drums" I'm pretty sure that is an ally drum, with fins cast in it, with a steel insert. ................

I'm not a Z historian but are these ally legal in the first place??? My 260Z shop manual doesn't show drawings of finned drums, but of round drums with no fins. Were the fins added by NIMSO for performance reasons and were they listed as an alternative part number by Datsun/Nissan?

They were all finned Ron. Aluminum drum with steel insert. They can be re-sleeved if you will. Not cheap but it can be done. I think JohnC at Betamotorsports was looking into that for one of his customers. Also, the new aftermarket's are cast and are without fins.

My drum backing plates are vented and there was evidence of a rear ducting system being attached to the rear control arms at one time. One of the previous owners of my car ran it in enduros on the west coast.

While I agree it would be nice to do away with the drums, as a Z racer I wll argue that it is against the class philosophy and an allowance should not be made. Like Jeff, I have another Z waiting in the wings that actually has discs all the way around

BTW, I will try to get a picture or two up for the Nissan fans. I have a buddy that has a Nissan IMSA GTP in his shop. Pretty neat car.....