Thread: Alternate 240Z rear brakes...?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    I suspect the drums are cast iron, not steel. Using iron instead of aluminum is not a safety issue. Sure it will run hotter, but iron will take it where aluminum will not. Aluminum is very rarely used in brakes, and for good reason.

If you really want to talk safety I move we ban the stock drums.
    Yep, I think you're right on the cast iron. Been awhile since I looked though.

Now on the "ally drums" I'm pretty sure that is an ally drum, with fins cast in it, with a steel insert. Carbotechs can handle the heat and I was just talking with those guys a few weeks ago and they have a compound for shoes that can handle even more heat than the previous versions.

I'm not a Z historian but are these ally legal in the first place??? My 260Z shop manual doesn't show drawings of finned drums, but of round drums with no fins. Were the fins added by NIMSO for performance reasons and were they listed as an alternative part number by Datsun/Nissan?

I'm with you though. I'd like to ban the blasted things for selfish "don't want to ever work on a drum brake again" reasons, but I am logical enough to know that isn't something to pursue. Funny how one of my prime motivators for getting a new IT car is to get something that doesn't have drum brakes and carbs.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-24-2010 at 09:54 PM.