Flatout Motorsports S2000 build thread...ITR

Thanks guys. Scott (the NER CoT) is a reasonable man; after we talk to him I will post the results here.

Steve

Keep in mind Steve that the FIA spec for seat mounts requires side mounts of 5mm aluminum or eqivilent steel thickness and proper grade bolts. The hole in the spec is that you are free to put what you want in between the side mounts and the car as long as the proper fasteners are used. Many tech guys have an opinion about sliders, but not backed up in the rules.

We're using Sparco sliders, is that what you used? Thanks for the heads-up, as we haven't fully committed yet (the sliders are just tacked). Also, who gunned you down, was it Scott?

San Francisco Region tech also wouldn't give me a logbook when I first built my car with Sparco sliders. Not because they were sliders, but because no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the play. The seat always rocked (and more than just a little bit.)

I ended up just removing them and mounted the seat in a fixed position.

I have a set of sliders from TC Kline that are solid without any rocking. They're most likely from Recaro.

Can't wait to hear about it in action.

Nice cage action. Being as how you're not fighting a weight issue it makes it convenient to do what you wish with respect to safety.

Nice cage action. Being as how you're not fighting a weight issue it makes it convenient to do what you wish with respect to safety.

True. We won't skimp but I can tell you it won't be a monkey-bar set-up back there just for the sake of having more bars like some cages we see.

True. We won't skimp but I can tell you it won't be a monkey-bar set-up back there just for the sake of having more bars like some cages we see.

Exactly. It makes more sense to build a safe cage with as little material as possible, then put the ballast where we want to put it.

Steve

I like what you're doing with the door bars. But I have one question. How are you going to get the rubber door molding back on the door frame?

Cage finished, subframes out, doing the final strip so we can bolt it to the rotisserie and paint the naughty bits.

Note the asymmetry: driver's side has 2 tubes tying into the firewall, while passenger side has only 1. That's to accommodate the heater. I don't think stiffness will be a problem. :p

Attachments

• leftbars.JPG
    leftbars.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 139
  • rightbars.JPG
    rightbars.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 129
  • cageroof.JPG
    cageroof.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 119
Cage finished, subframes out, doing the final strip so we can bolt it to the rotisserie and paint the naughty bits.

Note the asymmetry: driver's side has 2 tubes tying into the firewall, while passenger side has only 1. That's to accommodate the heater. I don't think stiffness will be a problem. :p

Looks great, but,

9.4.3. Cars competing in Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec
Miata, and Touring may extend ONE tube, from each front
down tube, forward to the firewall but not penetrating the firewall.

:dead_horse: what a stupid rule.

Looks great, but,

9.4.3. Cars competing in Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec
Miata, and Touring may extend ONE tube, from each front
down tube, forward to the firewall but not penetrating the firewall.

My fault for inaccurate writing plus a pic from a bad angle: on the driver's side, the upper tube actually fishmouths into the lower one as a triangulating brace - it does not run all the way to the firewall.

Steve

My fault for inaccurate writing plus a pic from a bad angle: on the driver's side, the upper tube actually fishmouths into the lower one as a triangulating brace - it does not run all the way to the firewall.

Steve
Interesting interpretation. :happy204:

We're using Sparco sliders, is that what you used? Thanks for the heads-up, as we haven't fully committed yet (the sliders are just tacked). Also, who gunned you down, was it Scott?

Steve

I've got RECARO "universal" sliders in the Golf and they are really nice and tight. You might see if you can source a pair of those...

K

Department of Thankless Tasks: Shiny underside means undercoating's gone!

Attachments

• shinyside.jpg
    shinyside.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 118
Back