Thread: Suspension Spring rate question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't know if Mark's advice transfers well to VWs. I would not run 750 front and 375 rear on my car. I guess worst case is that you end up with an understeering car, but more often closer to even front/back, or even a bit more rear rate tends to be faster.

That said, my original setup was 550 front and 375 rear springs, on a car that is 67% front weight biased. Today is 550/550, though I would like to continue tinkering.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Try a set of 600 front and 500 rear. Design it so that you can use the same lenght springs. That way you can swap them later. I like the 7in. long etc. Seems to work on both ends for my junk. MM
    PS, looked at the Mk 4 book today . The rear springs are almost 100% rate. So you can trim it as the rest of us do. Just more weight.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Default Spring Rates

What is the weight of the MK 4?.... I run a MK III Jetta, at a race weight of 2365.....
    Mike Ogren is worth listening too.... we are running 650lb x 8 Eibachs on the front, no front bar, and 750 lb x 8 Eibachs on the rear with a very beefy rear bar. We have gotten the car to oversteer on very fast turns, like turn 1 at Sebring (in 5th ) but it does get exciting. Mike's recommendation is also correct that you might want to start a little softer and work your way up.

David Ellis-Brown