Flatout Motorsports S2000 build thread...ITR

Andy Bettencourt

Super Moderator
Our donor has arrived. Hardtop is here. Steve got way too good of a deal on the car I want to make it a street machine. 48K miles and straight. Updates will be posted here all winter as the progress happens. Today it got it's baseline numbers on the dyno and it starts getting gutted.

We think it will be slightly underpowered for the class but extreamly nimble...and since we are used to high-reving torqeless wonders, it will fit right in!

Follow along, enjoy and don't hesitate to ping me with any questions.

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 103
  • S2k1.jpg
    S2k1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 101
Dude, is ITR the place to be in 2010, or what? Gonna be a ball ...

-------
Steve Ulfelder
Flatout Motorsports
05 ITR :happy204:

You have to bring that bad boy to VIR so we can all play. Good luck with the build. I will have the RX8 out this year. ITR is going to be the place to be in the near future.

Steve, keep us up to date on the RX-8 build. Choosing the S2K over the RX-8 was a tough and close call - I think they'll both be good R cars.

Steve

I am in so deep with Mazda there was no call for me. A lot of the Grand Am stuff crosses over so I have a little advantage not starting from scratch. Cage design is critical because of the lack of a B pillar. I am staying with a 17" wheel because there is not a real gain in width we can get with the 18" and weight is not worth it. Gearing is better with 17 as well. I will share anything you want to see on the build. Shooting for 280hp but will settle for 215.:D You planning to run STU National?

Shooting for 280hp but will settle for 215.:D You planning to run STU National?

Only 280? Think big, man!

Personally, I'm a Regional-only kind of guy. However, Nick and Andy have this habit of throwing my car on a trailer, hauling it God knows where, and racing the snot out of it. :shrug: So who knows where you'll see it?

Steve

I'm glad I'm getting the head and dyno tune done on my car...gonna be some fisticuffs :-)

Plus I have my stripper wagon going for me over on the other thread - selling the enclosed trailer was a good play!

That spark plug cover is worth at least an additional 10 rwhp, and gives your car an aero advantage......throwing paper! That alone justifies adding 250lbs of lead to the car!:)

What year S2000?

I ask as I am thinking of picking up an AP1 (00-03) S2000, mainly due to their cheap prices these days. However, it seems that the AP2 cars (04 on up) have the better suspension geometry. Just curious as to what generation S2000 you chose and why. There's also the F20 vs F22 engine issue. Thanks in advance for any info and good luck!

Am I the only one that has an issue with this thread here? Comin'?!?! Miata's guys posting on OUR Honda/Acura section? really? Especially the likes of Jim Malley and Andy B.... I am disgusted. FOM building an S2000!?? is the earth flat again?

I am writing a letter to the BoD, CRB, NARRC and NESCCA senior division chief III. This is preposterous!

Next thing you know, I will be forced to have a Miata Regional Racing Series *sticker* on my Civic.

Last edited:
Back