Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
I don't know guys. I give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I don't think this has much if anything to do with the Board kowtowing to SFI of their own volition.

It seems to me they are faced with a situation where nearly every major motorsports sanctioning body is requiring a H&N device, and most are requiring it to comply with SFI 38.1 or the FIA standards.

If they failed to follow suit, they would be putting themselves at extreme risk.

Frankly, I think the fact they held out as along as they did shows that they do listen to membership as much as the can.

P.S. Liability issues aside as a former ISAAC owner, I think we should all have the ability to review the options on H&N restraints and make an informed choice -- and live with it. Unfortuantely, that is not the way the world works.
Have you read the SFI 38.1 "standard," Jeff? It can be distilled down to five pieces:

1. The actual performance standard - max noggin connection compression and tension, and NIJ.

2. The test protocol - which is a rehash of the DELPHI test method applied to all H&N systems.

3. A bunch of language about licensing that is more about marketing than anything else.

4. A description of the architecture (see also, HANS blueprints)

5. A disclaimer that covers their butts while providing SCCA with no cover that I can identify, saying among other things that, The granting and assignment of the "This Manufacturer Certifies That This Product Meets SFI Specification 38.1" logo/designation is in no way an endorsement or certification of product performance or reliability by SFI.

We use "standard" as though the mere EXISTENCE of the standard is enough - that its substance doesn't matter. What if 38.1 said., "H&N restraint systems must be blue." Would SCCA gain any protection even if every other sanctioning body in the world adopted it? As a good lawyer, wouldn't you dig into the SFI architecture requirement if someone were burned because she couldn't get out of the window of their Spec Miata because of her HANS?

K