Thread: ITR Mustang

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bill:

What happens with the PBR calipers is that they splay out, so that the brake pads begin to wear cock-eyed. This problem is very commonplace in the left front, and occasionally an issue on the other side unless racing at tracks with an abundance of left turns.

It's also common for the piston sleeves to burn up. No, I've never had fluid boil to the point where I was literally hitting the floor. (Sorry if I exaggerated a bit.) But I've had to throw heel-and-toe downshifting out the window a few times because the pivot point would change enough to compromise throttle-blipping.

The solution? Get as much air as you can to the rotors. Cut off the dust shields, mount the bigger wheels and run tubes no smaller than 3" in diameter. Use super hi-temp fluids and remember to bleed the fronts halfway through an event if racing at a brake-killer like Beaverun.

Pads can make a difference with cooling. Unfortunately, I only have experience with Hawk Blues. I'm told that other companies, such as Carbotech (which I will be trying in '10), may have superior offerings.

Brakes are the big operational weakness with these cars. I learned alot this past year about the need to baby my brakes, and to plan my race strategies accordingly.

And although the bigger wheels hurt weight, you can mount wider rubber. A tradeoff, just like anything in racing.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Chris,

I'm interested in the brake problems you experienced with the aluminum calipers. Did you see caliper deformation? Brake pads welded to the pistons? Was there evidence of boiled fluid (pedal to the floor, etc)? Did the seals turn to carbon? (I'm trying to think of all the brake-related problems we had with the 2.3 Liter ITB car.)

Thanks for the input about the brakes. Your answers will make me reconsider the choices I have.

Jethro is, of course, planning on ITS, which has mandated smaller wheel sizes, and lower weight. Also, supposedly, the engine has somewhat lower power potential in typical IT tune. All of which, may lower his threshhold of brake problems.

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by RedMisted; 12-22-2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series