Thread: 85 jetta improved touring suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

well i have a fresh trans built for free with a quaiff in it. old family friend is vw trained from the factory and does nothing but vw,porsche trans. and its too late on the motor. we already have it completly rebuilt. and i have already stripped the floor pan inside the car and the inner fenders also. got rid of any unwanted wiring also. and im goin to buy a bolt in cage since i dont know if im keeping the car for very long. i know its cheaper to just buy a car. but i didnt have a choice.

my parents owned the car since 86 and my mom wouldnt let me and dad get rid of it. so she said build it and race it since i was in high school starting this. im done with school. and so forth. so i dont really have a chance but i hear u guys loud and clear.

with this eshock place and these bilstiens they have. what else so u need to go with eachshock beside springs?

Quote Originally Posted by jetta87 View Post
    with this eshock place and these bilstiens they have. what else so u need to go with eachshock beside springs?
    Upper spring perches. We get ours from Coleman Racing. A set of camber plates is also a very good idea.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

got rid of any unwanted wiring also.
    FYI might want to check the rules, can't do that if building an IT car

In my opinion a flat spring perch is the way to go, the dirt car cone perches are 2-3 inches tall I.E. 2 inches less wheel travel.....Ground Control camber plates come with the perches....and there flat....

Spherical control arm bearings are a good upgrade on the MK2-3,the rear bushing flexes allot! They keep the wheel where it needs to be when loaded.....

Lael
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Default 85 Gti Fs

How about an already 85 GTI track ready and tons of spares for 4k?

Terry - hd54kh@aol dot com

so if i buy shocks from e-shocks, camber plated from gc,springs,and spring perches i will be good to go?

for the unwanted wiring,if i remember right u can do that. i have the 07 rules im goin off of. that is what i had when i started. i can always go to the junk yard and get a wiring harness inside and for the engine at a junk yard.

Yeah. You can't - unless the wiring in question was not present in new cars when they were delivered (for instance if there are no power windows, there is no wiring for them in these cars).
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

i got rid of all the wiring for radio,instrument cluster,turnsignals ect. so i cant do that then?

so i have to put the wires back in the vehilce. cause i cut it all out. so go to junk yard and get an entire harness for inside and the engine cause both harness are tied together?

so i have to put the wires back in the vehilce. cause i cut it all out. so go to junk yard and get an entire harness for inside and the engine cause both harness are tied together?
    Yup.. If it [the GCR] doesn't say you CAN do something, you CAN'T (otherwise known as IIDSYCYC, which you'll see a lot of around here).. So, stock wiring must all be in place except for where the GCR says you can remove it - and those rules haven't changed in a while.. I'd re-read the ITCS before picking up a wrench or cutting tool again - nothing worse than having to undo something that you shouldn't have done in the first place.

And as for your plan to bolt in a cage... well... go back a few posts about buying a pre-built car - it will likely have a nice custom welded in cage, which is really what you want to be safe, and if you want to get the maximum benefit of the chassis stiffening.. That's the one place never to economize. And make sure both you, and your cage builder, study the most current version of the GCR before you start cutting and bending pipe..
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA

The engine harness and chassis harness are separate. Just make sure you pull one from the right car. The early A2s have the CE1 wiring harness, with the fuse box under the steering column, the later ones CE2, with the fuse box above the hood release. They don't mix well.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com