Thread: Racing my datsun 210 in ITC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You could do like I did and buy a used race car, total it after 7 hours on the track, then build another one with the remains. You get to experience both ways.
    Tom Sprecher

It’s not that hard to start racing but it's much harder to develop sustainable racing. There are many pitfalls along the way and one of the biggest is building your own car to start. I got some good advice when I started (like what Jake and Kirk said above) and for once I listened. The biggest thing people don’t understand is that it’s not about the car. The car is completely irrelevant. It is a box with wheels. Racing is about driving and what you want to do is find a way to affordably and reliably drive a box with wheels on the track. It’s tough because people get into racing because they are “car guys”so naturally they are focused on the car.
    When I started I wanted a spec miata. I bought an ITB Pinto “just to do my driver’s school in”, and ended up racing the Pinto for 4-5 years now. If you would have told me when I started that I’d be racing a Pinto… uh, no. Just as an example, my brother’s Pinto is for sale in the classifieds. Ignore the fact that it’s a Pinto (I know) and take a look at what you get for 2800 bucks. And there are many other good deals out there.

since i started racing, i've bought 2 cars. the first i drove from Greensboro to Memphis to buy a Fiat X1/9. that car got me through school, but 4 heads and 3 blocks later (i did learn a lot about wrenching on the car) it finished it's first race in its 2nd attempt... with a blown head gasket!

traded that for a Honda CRX ITC car, and have yet to have a DNF (despite a ventilated block and a lack of brake fluid!).

what I'm saying, is buy buy buy! buy a car, learn to race, and then if you really aren't happy build. event then, i would still say just upgrade what you buy.. there are alway's things to change out.

and as for the b210... there was one here in the carolina's. it was very slow.

best of luck!
    hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    since i started racing, i've bought 2 cars. the first i drove from Greensboro to Memphis to buy a Fiat X1/9. that car got me through school, but 4 heads and 3 blocks later
    Holy sheet!!!

That sounds worse than my Jensen experience. I didn't know about that stuff, man, those are hard times. I'll spot you some beer at the next outing.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Holy sheet!!!

That sounds worse than my Jensen experience. I didn't know about that stuff, man, those are hard times. I'll spot you some beer at the next outing.

R
    Thanks!

you don't remember the 3 Cylinder X1/9 running the ECR on the North Course? that was a baptism.... litteraly. Ed came in w 20 min to go in the race, parked the car and waited till it got near the end. we pushed it up to the line and when the threw the checkered, he hit the starter button... blowing coolant all over us, but crossing and finshing my first race! ::026:

and as for the Jenson... dude, nothing is worse that a car trying to perform a Castration! did you dump that on some poor vintage racer yet?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

He GAVE it away to some guy who put a 13B in it. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    Thanks!

you don't remember the 3 Cylinder X1/9 running the ECR on the North Course? that was a baptism.... litteraly. Ed came in w 20 min to go in the race, parked the car and waited till it got near the end. we pushed it up to the line and when the threw the checkered, he hit the starter button... blowing coolant all over us, but crossing and finshing my first race! ::026:

and as for the Jenson... dude, nothing is worse that a car trying to perform a Castration! did you dump that on some poor vintage racer yet?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    He GAVE it away to some guy who put a 13B in it. No kidding.

So they can circumsise themselves with a Wankle?!

eh, we all make mistakes.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AjG View Post

The car is completely irrelevant. It is a box with wheels. Racing is about driving and what you want to do is find a way to affordably and reliably drive a box with wheels on the track.
    This is such a great point, and very well put.

Steve