Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post
So...you disagree with the the current rules-set, and you'll just disregard the ones you don't like ?
Doesn't everyone at some level? That's why folks search for loopholes and work arounds.

What other rules might you rationalize away ?
The ITCS 37mm exhaust valve that is only 35mm from Volvo. Care to discuss more issues with the 240 and the ITCS? My reclassification request is in process and I'm awaiting the results.

You've been building that Volvo for many years, and while you've never turned a lap, you seem to have all sorts of problems with it that others don't. Dana 30 rear end, big axle tubes out each side, holds lots of oil and has a reasonably big surface area to dump some heat. When I was racing a 142 with a Dana 30 solid axle, I had all sorts of issues (gearbox, engine, etc) but never a problem with the diff. None of the other Volvo guys with that same axle seem to have overheating diff issues. A friend with a "flat-nosed turbo" 240 rally car had diff & axle issues, but he was running ballistic power levels in a difficult (pro rally) environment.
A 142 is not the same as a 242. Hence Bob Griffith's ITB 242 being termed a "toad" by Eric Curran in testing. That is part of the issue in developing a new car, it takes a lot of time and research. I've done my research, helped other running ITB 240's and worked to reclassify the car with correct specs (weight is not a big issue with me). Now I'm ready to build the car and run it. Additionally my job travel requirements have prevented my cars completion. My car will be on the the track this spring.

The axle held together, but was it running too hot? What type of differential was used? TORSEN, Salisbury, welded, etc. Moot point without actual recorded temps.

Most likely, you've picked the wrong class for your project. Feel free to build a GT car...the rules are right there in the GCR...you can modify and add all sorts of whizz-bang stuff, legally.
I can run a 3-link with a Mumford-link or Watts-link in the rear with a custom bevel gears in an alloy M30/Dana 30 axle and still be 100% ITB legal. I can also run trick aluminum Tilton style clutches and adjustble blade-type ARB's in ITB. All whiz-bang IT legal parts. GT/Production requires more engine work, not much to gain on the suspension end. I picked the correct class for my project. Same ITCS rules in the same GCR.

Sorry about the thread hijack, but isn't this about the letter written to allow additional oil coolers?