Quote Originally Posted by Lael Cleland View Post
I was doing laps at MAM with an open diff in an 84 GTI, 1.56. installed a peloquin, 1.56s, blew up the engine, new pistons, new every thing, TT race header, 1.56s, small front sway, no front sway, BIG front sway bar=1.56.....in a race with perfect conditions, and new V700s it did a 1.55 with an open diff? At a track day last week, different header, with junk tires 1.56...
I think you can set up a vw to not need an LSD, If there is no tire spin coming out of corners, it is not needed?.?...I Hate welded with wimpy rabbit hubs/bearings!

Its all opinion, there's a bunch of people that have been racing rabbits longer than I.......
Lael

GREAT feedback! This is kind of what I would expect!

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
Ultimately, I think it comes down to driver style. We ran a welded diff in the MkIII Golf at the ARRC and I was reminded that I actually like how they work - back from the olden days when we had just two choices, welded or nada.

My FIRST choice would be a proper clutch-type diff, with enough test time to get it set up right. That means servicing the gearbox all the time, $$$, more $$$$, etc. That would be a good compromise for sprints and enduros with rental drivers.

For SPRINT races, I think I'll go with a spool - which I have "in stock." They are hairy in the wet but if you just let them run their course, they are not horrific - at least not on an FWD car. (But note that I like rain.) I frankly don't buy the "hard on parts" thing, unless one does dumb stuff in the paddock. The tires are - or should be - always sliding at least a little on the race track, which should be enough compliance that it's not doing significantly more harm to bits, than would racing under the best of circumstances.

For ENDUROS with changing conditions and drivers who might not be so comfy with surprises, we use the Peloquin but honestly, I don't think it's any quicker than an open diff.

...but different driver preferences and styles might well make any one option better than the others for typical use. I *like* the fact that the spool/welded diff reinforces being ON the gas in situations (a la mid-corner incipient understeer) would encourage LIFTING with an open diff. I also like being able to effectively use a couple feet of grass on the inside of a corner if I have to.

K
Also fantastic feedback... thank you very much... and well I completely understand some of the benefits of the welded/spool... I Personally experienced what happens when you trailbrake too long into a fast corner with a welded and what it takes to correct it (in the rabbit). And who wouldn't want a little extra room by using the grass right? All of this feedback is honestly reinforcing my desire to focus on the suspension and not the gearbox. Ie spend the money where it counts.