Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
Jeff, are you a diplomat in training?? Phil has shown to know of what he speaks. I have known Phil for about 17yrs, from a distance, but at the same tracks, mostly Watkins Glen. He has shown to know the higher tech areas of making slow shit go fast. like Volvos and VWs.
What are you saying in your post?? It is not clear, not informative. Please elaborate your found data.
I have found no advantage to more lead than about 32 degrees on this ( Non IT legal ) engine. at any rpm that this car runs at( 4700- 7300). More than 35* seems to shorten head gasket life, and often distorts the chamber squish area. I run fixed timing to deal with the vacuum rules at my local circle track. I have found no timing varience, ever.
The car pulls the same with the advance dist also, just idles poorly.
The IT cars run the advance curve for now , but If i find any bounce , will go fixed on them also.
Thanks, MM
I'm not suggesting that more than 32 to 34 degrees total advance is going to make more power. However with a standalone ecu that allows you to control timing precisely and customise your actual curve, a fair amount of power can be found, typically "under the curve" ie below torque peak. This effectively widens the powerband of the engine making it easier and more fun to drive. Example playing with the timing curve on a GTL motor found 15ft/lb wtq at 5000 rpm (numbers went up 15 ft/lb) and 10whp at 7000 rpm. the power curve and torque curve used to be bell shaped and now they are both pretty darn flat. The same thing can be done with any motor when you can truly adjust your timing curve. Of course the amount of gain will vary but the average gains tend to be decent.