Hoosiers really don't have the horrible wear many folks insist that they do. That all went away when they released the R3SO5's. The current crop of 06's run really well up to around 12-ish heat cycles at which point they begin to fall (comparitively) but stay consistent until around cycle 20-22 at which point they get harder and don't "work" as well and sometimes have difficulty coming up to temp.

I've always run 225's on my ITA CRX and now my ITA Civic. More rubber is never a bad thing and at the very least it gives you more mass to handle the heat loads FWD can dish out. I've got no idea what sort of time difference you're talking about with 205 vs 225 but, based on other faster/more experienced drivers (Fowler, Moser, Nealey, etc, etc), I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think they wider tires are faster.

I run the 14x7 Team Dynamics wheels. They work fine and hold up well. There are other lighter and more expensive options options there too (Volk comes to mind).

BTW, 225/50 14's just barely fit on a CRX... especially tight on the rear. Completely aside from the gear ratio issues, a 225/50 15 is going to be too tall for the CRX. This will either cause bottoming out in the wheel well at the correct ride height or you'll have to increase the ride height to keep from bottoming out. IMO, this would be a way worse compromise than just running the wheel/tires that you've got right now.