Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post

Not understanding how you could shift a CVT, I looked it up on Subaru's page, where they describe it as "virtual" shifting:

"The Subaru Lineartronic CVT features a manual mode system that simulates a six-speed manual transmission. When in this “virtual” manual mode, the driver can use paddle levers on the steering wheel to select one of six programmed “speeds.” These six speeds are ratios intended for various driving conditions.Shifting to a lower ratio is accomplished by tapping the downshift when the vehicle is in “Drive.” The manual downshift holds the chosen ratio until the engine’s rev limit is reached."
My wife's 2002 Audi A4 has a CVT (Audi calls it "multitronic") with the same sort of manual mode -- just 6 pre-chosen fixed ratios that you can shift like any other auto-manual box.

The CVT works great. I wish it had a "race mode" though where it would just get the engine to the peak HP point and just stay there.

BTW, it also has a conventional dry clutch just like a manual transmission -- no torque converter. The clutch is actuated hydraulically by the transmission's computer instead of a clutch pedal.