300zx Build Update

Tristan Smith

Not that anyone asked, but I thought i would show the latest on the ITR build.

New used nose:

img1596u.jpg

Cage and interior are essentially done:

img1595f.jpg

Front suspension: Ground Control Advance Design shocks on all four corners.

img1586p.jpg

Rear Suspension. Full spherical set up. Rota D2 17 x8.5 wheels (not seen here)

img1589u.jpg

I had originally hoped to have it out for labor day.......but that's not going to happen.

I still have to plumb the oil system/cooler. Build the exhaust. Put in the racing radiator. Paint it, corner weight it, align it, and dyno tune it......

I am shooting for October race at VIR, now.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm liking the pictures and I'm happy to hear that you're making progress! Looks great Tristan!

itr 300zx

very nice...should be in ITS...re-class old z's into ITA...it would do well in ITS...give those european cars a run for it...u know they always have a advantage in SCCA. I have a GTU/GT-2 300zx which i run in HSR/SVRA...has a hard time against the porsche's which have many tech advantage's...what's the weight you must be at?????anyhow good luck...your weak link will be the engine girdle(below block) that's why Gene Crow of BSR developed the solid steel girdle (about 25lbs) it works perfect...replaces your end caps (caps are built into girdel)also sleaveing you cylinders helps to strenghen your block...and protect it should you have a rod fail...I know about that...Bill Erdman

Looks sweet, nice job so far Tristan! I think that is ultimately going to be one of the top cars for ITR, can't wait to hear the first race report.

Thanks everyone.

It's coming along a lot slower than I remember the 240sx build, but that was a long time ago.

Marcus, gotta paint it in team colors! Besides there was a bit of body work done on the back and it is in primer. At a minimum I would have to paint at least the nose and hatch since they are a hodge-podge of colors.

I am looking forward to running it. Probably scare the piss out of me. Big, Heavy and fast.

I think I'll name her ZXena! Yeah, thats the ticket.

Well I am going to try for a shake down at VIR in October.......at least that is what I am shooting for. I'm out of town, but evidently the expensive Custom Griffin Racing Radiator showed up at the house today. So that is one more thing I can get done.

300zx Build Update....updated!

Well here's a little tease for you.

The good........

img00081l.jpg

base coat is down, still needs clear coat.

img00082.jpg

and the bad....it won't betting out to race this year. Just too many hours working and not enough time to get everything done.

It's just the usual paint job for my cars.

It started with my vintage Datsun 200sx

svra200sxop3.jpg

Then the 240sx;

1000372ku2.jpg

and now the zx.

Guess I am unimaginitive, or a traditionalist. The line on the new cars looks odd where it goes over the front wheel well in the pictures because it goes from a horizontal surface to a verticle surface (quickly). You can see it in the picture below.

img00082.jpg

Back