Mk3 Golf VR6 in ITS

While I am by no means an expert on Volkswagens, that car would probably do ok.
Until you had to race against a well prepared E36 BMW.

But it would be a fun project.

cheers
dave parker

isn't a corrado a MK3 platform?

I believe Bildon was pretty succesful with their Corrado in ITS, not sure how the specs of the cars differ. Just going by eye, but the Corrado looks like it has a lower roof, which would be an advantage. Similar to a MK1 Rabbit and Scirocco

My understanding is that the Mk3 Golf VR6 is mechanically identical to the Corrado VR6. The GCR seems to suggest that also. From what I can find on the web, the Bildon Corrado had a successful but short-lived campaign. I think I'll drop them an email.

I don't have illusions that this car could beat the e36, all else being equal. I'm more interested in something that is rather low maintenance but could place well given the right conditions, like a very wet track.

Any opinions on how competitive the Mk3 Golf VR6 could be in ITS?
TIA
It's awfully nose heavy but with ECU's being free now I think it could be a decent car.
VW tends to leave a lot of untapped potential in their motors that good computer tuning will bring out.

Nope the 'rado and Mk3 are very very similar even though the 'rado is a Mk2 it was kinda the prototype for the Mk3

Agreed.

The Corrados are a mix of A2 and A3 chassis (and of course those chassis are actually very similar). The GTI motor/brakes/trans are very similar, but different - trans is not the same for instance, though probably has same ratios.

The GTI would surely be easier to find spares for should you bend it. The Corrado probably has an edge on straight line handling. I think the GTI would be competitive, but require a decent tire budget.

Bildons Corrado was doing VERY well in Atlanta at the ARRCs, but suffered braking issues. It was a car with 3 (?) races on it. lot's of teething/development to go, presumably. Which bodes well for it's chances.

Looked cool too.

If you have not watched thier videos, go do it now. The sound alone may justify building a good ITS VR6 car.

Ok, One note, O2A/02J/ect....Lets say cable shift, trans are all the same inside, 2nd gear sucks in all of them...Next VR6 spindles are VR6, MK2-3 5x100 bolt patern& funky angled balljiont....1990& up Mk2 GLi spindles & 4cyl mk3 are mostly interchangeable(abs)
I think the diffrence with coraddo's is more about VR6 vs. G60....I used to know more about it 10 years ago......I am forgetting MK1 stuff daily!!!Stupid MK6s are here!

STOP!! You guys are making me miss my Corrado.:( Have to say that of all of the cars we have owned since we have been married, this is the only one I miss. Not that it didn't have it's issues, but....it was a real cool car to drive.

We always thought the Corrado would be a kickass car to race, but sheet metal replacement would be almost impossible, and keeping front tires on the thing could cost you a fortune.

Corrados are very cool cars to drive, and I'm with you Lesley, it's one of the few cars that I really do miss. And there's really nothing like the sound of a VR6 at full song, especially a well tuned one w/ an open intake and a free-flowing exhaust. I know a VR6 Mk III GTI is a very similar car, mechanically, but it's definitely no 'rado.

I usually have a broken corrado in my shop at all times.....I think the G60 was worse than the GLC....
Trans plant an R32 drive line STO!!!!!!!

Back