Group,
So I am trying to figure something out. I had posted in this thread several days ago the question as to why open wheel and closed wheel cars were on track at the same time when this incident happened. I received a private message in my inbox from someone I have never met and do not know. I responded to this message and have not gotten a response back. As always I have several questions:
1. Who is this guy?
2. Why is he sending me a private message rather than stating his opinion publicly?
3. What is his axe to grind and why is he wanting to grind it with me?

I have included his private message and my response.

Thoughts?

cheers
dave parker
Interesting idea, Dave, but where is it written down? Even more to the point, is it part of the rules for The Club at Lime Rock?

I think it's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black if you're calling on an SCCA background to point a finger here. Have you looked at the upgraded FIA regulations for cars and tracks that would make a great deal of what we do subject to the very same disapproval?

Short version: One of the reasons there are so many other organizations in the U.S. is because of the attitude you express here, which has been translated into a holier than thou mantra from SCCA members.

We, the SCCA, have enough problems dealing with our own issues without calling out others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave parker
I will ask the question since no one else has. Why were closed wheel and open wheel cars on the track at the same time?
Has the "Club at Lime Rock" forgotten one of the primary tenants of auto racing, Thou shalt not run open wheel and closed wheel cars together?

Of course that does not even address running spec pinatas with any other cars, but that is a different issue.

I hope that Mr. Posey is ok and recovers fully.
cheers
dave parker

Originally Posted by Peter Olivola
Interesting idea, Dave, but where is it written down? Even more to the point, is it part of the rules for The Club at Lime Rock?

I think it's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black if you're calling on an SCCA background to point a finger here. Have you looked at the upgraded FIA regulations for cars and tracks that would make a great deal of what we do subject to the very same disapproval?

Short version: One of the reasons there are so many other organizations in the U.S. is because of the attitude you express here, which has been translated into a holier than thou mantra from SCCA members.

We, the SCCA, have enough problems dealing with our own issues without calling out others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave parker
I will ask the question since no one else has. Why were closed wheel and open wheel cars on the track at the same time?
Has the "Club at Lime Rock" forgotten one of the primary tenants of auto racing, Thou shalt not run open wheel and closed wheel cars together?

Of course that does not even address running spec pinatas with any other cars, but that is a different issue.

I hope that Mr. Posey is ok and recovers fully.
cheers
dave parker

Mr. Olivola,
I asked the question in an open forum because I have no knowledge on the "Club at Lime Rock" rules.
I agree that there is no "protocol" for grouping of cars however, have not enough people paid the ultimate price that can be paid (one's own life) because of groupings of dissimilar cars?
I double checked my post to make sure that I made NO mention of SCCA rules or the SCCA GCR. I did not.
I have not read the FIA rules in two years, I will make sure that I do so in the next week.
I have in my racing career however, raced under FIA rules, NASA rules, EMRA rules, PCA rules and NASCAR rules. Each carries its own quirks and pitfalls. I also refuse to point fingers. I asked the questions to gain knowledge, aid the discovery process, and have the foresight and common sense to avoid making the same kinds of mistakes in the future.

The reasons for other sanctioning bodies other than the SCCA is myriad, attitude(s) is only a small part of that equation. I would also agree that SCCA has many problems, most of which are brought onto the SCCA by its members (of which I am a proud one) and its leaders. Many of the others are so germain, that only a complete dissolution will get rid of them. That is not my fight.

I am not calling anyone out, I was asking a question. If asking a question is a problem, then why did not the moderators step in and close the thread and thereby stop the discussion?

We have never met. I would hope that when we do meet face to face it will be with the understanding that we share an interest in the same pasttime and that the pasttime outlast us, and many others and continue in for many years to come.

Thoughts?
Best regards
dave parker