We are starting to see IT7 fields here in the SEDiv shrink too, and this used to be one of if not the strongest regions for the class. Where there are 10-12 regulars a few years back, there are now maybe 3-4, or 5-6.

Guys are moving up to Second Gen RX7s, or to ITR cars.

Having raced against these guys, in an area where ITA was a little weak, I always wondered why they didn't go ITA. But, in 2007, Ricky Thompson -- probably the fastest IT7 car/driver in the country -- made a full blown effort to see if the 1st Gen could still win in A. He made a valiant run for the SARRC championshp, and proved the car to be more competitive in A than I think people thought, but ultimately concluded that a 100% max effort just was barely on part with the top 1/3 of the Honda/Acura/NX A field.

It is going to be sad to see the 1st Gen fade away, because it was such a great car and such a mainstay of SCCA racing, even when I first started in 04.

Because the 7s were so fast here in the SEDiv, I always thought moving them to B was a mistake, but I've come completely around on that. I wonder if that might not truly give them a completely new lease on life, like all the Z cars that reappeared after the E36 in ITS issue was fixed.