As I've noodled on this whole "It will cost more, if IT goes National" argument, I've tried to look at what drives costs in Club Racing. What occurs to me, is that w/in a given class, what drives costs, is the 'density' of the competition, and the perceived reward. You have to analyze each class individually, as trying to do comparisons across classes doesn't take into account the intrinsic cost differences. And, as a general rule, the faster classes tend to cost more (spec classes notwithstanding). For example, I don't think anyone would think that it's valid to compare costs between a FC and a FA. Same basic kind of car (winged formula car), but there are some significant intrinsic cost differences between them, and as a rule, a FA is faster than a FC. Same would hold true for an ITS car vs. an ITB car.

Anyway, onto the key areas I see that drive costs. What I define competition 'density' as, is how many folks compete in a given class, in a given area. The IT classes seem to have a higher competition density along the East coast, than in other parts of the country. That's probably why you see more large-budget IT programs in the East. That's not to say that there aren't large-budget IT programs in other parts of the country, or in areas w/ lower competition density. But, if you look at the size of the grid in a given class, and look at how close the guys that run at the front are, I think you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Because of the differences between Regional and National racing (in terms of a recognized National championship), the geographic areas that you look at the competition desnisty over, are different. And it's not even a geographical thing, but really more of a specific series championship thing. The RO pull drivers from all over the country, and for the most part, the competition desnisty for a RO trophy is pretty high. I would say (in most cases) much higher than for the corresponding Divisional championship.

As far as the reward goes, or really, the value that people place on that reward, what you're really talking about are trophies. That could be a NARRC class championship trophy, a RO trophy, a Divisional championship, a MARRS race trophy, an ARRC trophy, etc. Everyone places their own value on these rewards. Some are happy w/ just finishing on the podium in a Regional race, others aren't satisfied until they've achieved what they believe is the pinnacle for their area. For National classes, that's generally accepted as a 1st place trophy at the RO. For Regional classes, some see it as a 1st place trophy at the ARRC, others may see it as winning the IT Triple Crown.

Race drivers, by their very nature, tend to be highly competitive. They want that 'pinnacle' reward. But it's each individual that decides what they're ultimately satisfied with. I don't think anyone will argue the fact that most folks that run a National-eligible car at the Regional level, spend less than their counterparts that run those cars at the National level. This isn't an absolute, but I think is a fair generalization of the situation. I think it becomes even more accurate when you talk about the folks that run at the front, in their respective arenas.

Where I'm going with this is, if you want to run at the front, for a championship where there is a high competition density, you better be prepared to spend some money. Or as others have put it, bring your 'A' game.

Going back to the differences in IT programs around the country. Some of you that have been around a while might remember a guy from the PNW that drove an ITS E36 BMW (IIRC, this was around the time that the E36 was either going to ITR, or getting a smaller SIR). This guy ran an essentially stock car, and IIRC, said he had a j/y motor in the car, yet he was winning or running at the front in the ITS races in his area. Here was a car (and driver) that were running at the front in a car that was far from one of the top-level E36's in the country. Why? Because of low competition density.

For the most part, the guys battling for RO trophies have significant budgets. But I think the same holds true for those batting for ARRC trophies. If IT were to become RO eligible, the competition density probably will go up for those shooting for that RO trophy. You have some people that will argue that a 1st place trophy at the ARRC is every bit as significant as a 1st place trophy at the RO. And while it may be, w/in that specific community, I feel that the general perception is that it's not. Yes, it's an accomplishment, but you're really not getting all the best cars / drivers there.

So, if you have a perceived higher reward, you more than likely will attract more people that will want to go after it. That's going to up the competition density for that class (or group of classes). If you want to go for it, you will most certainly have to bring your 'A' game (as there will be more people willing to do just that), and that will, in some cases require you to up your budget. But, that's only IF you make the choice to go for it. However, I think the same would hold true, even if IT was always a Regional series, and you brought your ITA car from the SW to the NE (not picking on anyone, just making an example), and wanted to run at the front. Or if that guy w/ the E36 from the PNW wanted to go win the SARRC ITS championship. If you're going from a series w/ a low competition desnisty to one w/ a high competition desnsity, I don't think you should be surprised if all of a sudden you have to spend more money, if you want to run at the front. It's no different than the guys that currently run mid-pack in the SARRC/MARRS/NARRC IT classes, if they want to move up the grid. Either get more out of the car, or get more out of the nut behind the wheel. Either way, both will require you to spend more.

And by the same token, if you go from a higher competition density to a lower one, you should have to spend less money to maintain your current position on the grid. As myself, and others, have mentioned, if IT were to become RO-eligible, you'd pull some of the cream off the top. That automatically creates a lower competition desnisity for those classes, at the Regional level.

So I just don't buy the arguement that having IT become RO-eligible will automagically cause everyone racing in IT to spend more money. There's just too much evidence out there to the contrary (Regional vs. National programs for RO-eligible cars). And please, don't trot out SM as an example anymore. There are just too many things that are different about it, as compared to IT, that make it a poor comparrison.

Sorry for the ramble, but I figured I'd share.