Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
...Sure, it's "tougher" to win a championship than an individual race, but you're mistaken that the winner of the series is necessarily indicates the "best driver". All a series championship primarily does is indicate which competitors are more "devoted" (i.e., willing to commit more resources) to running the entire series, and then - and only then - deciding within that smaller subset who is the "best driver". If The Randy Pobst comes in and beats us all in one or two races, but doesn't run the series, are you going to claim that by winning the series championship that you or I are the better driver than The Randy Pobst?...

Greg
My rookie year I was at least 5 seconds off the pace. I don't think I beat anybody on-track. Back then we had to sign up for the Champ series, and only a handfull did. Points were awarded solely based on the relative finishing position of Champ series drivers, and they gave double points for select events. I clinched the division championship with the double 1st place points I got by blowing up on lap 10 of an 18 lap race. That trophy is not one I display proudly.