Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
How so "it was wide open"?

What happened to "If It Doesn't Say You Can, You Can't"? Seems to be running the line would have been illegal under that old axiom of IT.

My interest is academic because as I've stated on this forum I'm for opening the ECU rules wide open, sensors and all so that we avoid this nonsense.
Since Bill didn't agree with my application of the rules, he won't be able to explain me thinks.

There are plenty of things that the rules say you can add. What is assumed is that you can add what you need to in order to make those things 'function', so long as they do not also do something specifically illegal. Things as simple as wiring/plumbing your allowed gauges or adding bracketry to your custom intake, etc.

In my ECU scenario from a couple years back, the summary of the rule was simple. Do anything you want inside the stock ECU case but you must use the factory ECU connectors. My ECU had an on-board MAP sensor. So for it to 'work', it neded to be electrified and plumbed just like a gauge would. Running a vacuum line through an existing unmodified hole in the ECU housing allowed me to 'power it up'. I still feel it met all the restrictions of that rule at the time but defined one of the reasons the 'fors' were for opening up the rules at the time. Some stock housings could fit aftermarket ECU's, some couldn't...some ECU's had more ability than others - and those were hugely expensive...etc...

We are very much looking for input on sensors and ECU's. We are worried about unintended consiquenses of opening up 'sensors' - because we would in turn have to really have to define everything we wouldn't want those sensors to 'do'...like traction control, ABS, etc.