Thread: is a mk2 16v competitive?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
    Because it's still too fast for ITB. The Catch-22 in this game (and I'll well aware of it and not complaining as much as stating fact) is that SCCA provides us a place to race but does NOT guarantee a car's competitiveness in any given class. This is part of the racing game - if you want the fastest car in a class, you'll virtually have to purchase a different car every year.

I'm tired of being DFL - I know that. ...
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I seriously doubt you're DFL. If you are, you have other issues than the car. There's a lot of talent levels out there, and you have to work to be DFL. I'll assume you're exaggerating for effect.
    That aside, I have to call BS on the "new car every year" comment.. that's a HUGE exaggeration. I recently chatted with a CRX owner who complained his car was "junk" now. Yea, he's running tenths off (or under in testing) track records, and he's complaining that other cars have easier time tuning because they are OBDII. Boo hoo, LOL. Hard to not chuckle at that point of view when you look at the process used to class, the reported power levels, and dare I cite it: results. A car like his, a CRX, has won the ARRCs, (*)and the IT-Fest last year, and has been competitive for years. Except when they were beaten by Acuras. Or Nissan 240sx's. Or Nissan NX-2000. Yea, those cars are the same configuration as they've been for years.

If you had to buy a new car every year, that wouldn't be the case.

Regarding the possible move to ITB, here's how it plays out. (And, oh, let's not paint the picture of the Volvos and the 2002s getting all pissed if they were to be challenged, they might be big in the MARRS series, but lok around. Track record in Watkins Glen: Prelude. Atlanta? Golf III, I think. Or Accord. Point is, there are lots of candidates, and the Volvos and 2002s are only two of them.)

So, to move the car, you get to run the car through the process, (Assumed power times ITB factor plus minus any "adders".) That results in a new ITB weight, heavier than the current ITA weight. AND you get to buy a quiver of 6" (lightweight!) wheels and tires, and go testing the new wheel tire setup.

The ITAC looks hard at such class changes, because it's rather upsetting to many who are happy racing their cars as is. Whenever moves like that are made, there ARE people who are negatively affected...it's got to be clear case of the car not being able to make weight or some clear disadvantage.

Sorry to say, (and MAtt, I know you understand this, I'm just restating it...) but we all choose our cars, and we accept the warts, whether they are handling oddities, or difficult to deal with ECU systems, or components that wear excessivley.

* the win was taken in tech due to a cold air intake infraction. Same car is now running a compliant system, and won the IT Fest.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 08-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com