Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
with the current rules of "open ECUs BUT no standalone units". Ironically, the CRB hides behind "Not consistent with the intention of the class" and yet allows open ECUs which are every bit as pricey (if not more expensive) than a standalone unit.

How much power would a front runner make? Dunno - I'm putting about 130 to the flywheel (last year before freshening the bottom end) - I'm figuring the Hondas and Datsuns, er Nissans are 140ish since they benefit from the open ECU allowance.
Sorry, but I don't understand the difference between an "open" ECU and a "standalone" unit. Could you please elaborate?

A few years ago when I was re-building my PL engine to IT spec I bought the parts from Raffi at Eurosport. I'm pretty sure he said that about 150hp could be had out of the 16V. But I haven't been to the dyno and so have no idea the output of my rebuilt engine, rebuilt with all the allowances.

I can think of a few easy ways to install an aftermarket ECU to control spark and fueling on the KE-Jetronic system, without changing injectors or the distributor. But the limitation is the four-window hall effect camshaft sensor. Without an allowance for a toothed crankshaft wheel and sensor, it would require customized software and the spark timing wouldn't be very accurate. Which is why I had earlier suggested that the SCCA define a common sensor set so that all cars may take equal advantage of the open ECU rule and have a level playing field.