Quote Originally Posted by RSI View Post
Motorsports in the NW are taking a hit because of the environmental impact. Seems that E85 would help that image a bit.

My experience in my car is that the car makes 2-3hp less on 100 octane though. The nice thing about E85 is its Cheap. I pay $1.85 a gallon for E85 versus $7 a gallon for race fuel.

Just curious why E85 on NA cars isnt being allowed. I get how if we were talking actual methanol and other forms of alcohol it could be a power adder.
The only question was in your title: Why the aversion to E85?

I don't have an aversion per say, I just don't use it because it is inconsistent as provided at the pump, has lower energy content per pound and requires higher injector flow for proper tuning.

My earlier response was solely in relation to the suggestion that E85 is green. The way we do it in the US, it is not as green as Plain Old Gas. I see it more as a subsidy program for the farming industry.

If the reason to do it is that it 'is perceived as green' (which it is by some), rather than it 'is green' (which it isn't) then I simply disagree with the need to accomodate it. I'm not opposed, just don't think we HAVE to allow it.

IMO a stronger argument would be to require no-lead fuels across the board.

Maybe gather data on the amount / type of fuel consumed and emission produced at a race weekend so we can know whether the environmental impact matches the PR 'hit' that the sport is taking.